run 1 week 4 HELP!!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
meggie t

Re: run 1 week 4 HELP!!!

Post by meggie t »

I just completed W4R1 and it was HARD!! I finished it but I didn't enjoy it. I still haven't figured out my breathing. Every once in a while, I get a deep breath in but it is still challenging. I do hope, like you all, that this becomes a bit easier! I am gong away this week and won't be able to complete the test of the week, so inwill start W4 over next week. I hope I can do it!!

Aimee, I hope you feel better soon!
Shuffler

Post by Shuffler »

W4R1 is foxing me too. I started W4 two days ago, but struggled with the first 5 minute run, then had to take a work phonecall and gave up the whole attempt.

Tried again today. Managed both 3 minutes and the first 5 minute run, but had to walk after 2.5 minutes of the last run. Still, that's 13.5 minutes running in all, which beats the few seconds I could manage when I started. I guess I just have to accept that I need to keep on and on repeating runs until I crack them.
meggie t

Post by meggie t »

So, how is everyone doing in W4 or W5, at this point? I was out of town for a bit, so I only did the W4R1 last week and then repeated W4 this week. I did W4R2 today and while it was better than R1 this past Tuesday, those last 5 minutes are still a struggle. I have completed all the runs, so I am pleased, but I am SO nervous about W5!! I really can't imagine running for more than 5 minutes at a time. I know that back in W1 I said I couldn't imagine running 1 1/2 minutes, but this time I mean it!! I am really just finding W4 much more challenging than W1-3. I do hope this gets easier and that this all "clicks" very soon.

Meggie T
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

This is the very reason I visited the forum. I just completed W4R3 and it was significantly better than the first and second runs of W4. I'm wondering if I should just repeat the week so that I don't dread running. Up until this past week, I was loving running for the first time in my life. But I was starting to think I wouldn't finish based on my sense of dread that was developing. Have you repeated weeks much? Would you advise against for any reason?
meggie t

Post by meggie t »

Hi Jenna,

About repeating weeks, so far I only repeated W4 when I was unable to do the 3 runs due to going out of town and now sickness. So, tomorrow I will repeat W4 again, with hopes of getting through the week. If you have done all the runs successfully (even if not lovingly!), then I would move on to W5.

I, too, was excited about running in W1-3, but now I am doubting my passion. Hopefully it will be renewed in W5!

Meggie T
Akmedredicus

Post by Akmedredicus »

THROTTLE THROTTLE THROTTLE!!!

One thing this app doesn't teach you that a goo friend of mine taught me who runs marathons is how to throttle myself. If you are getting steamed and feel like giving up throttle your pace down. Go a pace where you're basically walking but the movements are a jogging pace. You're speed and pace with come with time, use this time now to learn how to become a runner. Throttling is a big part of that. You'll also learn your body will recoup when you throttle down, kinda like it does when you walk and your energy will come back. Try it!

Kyle
Started - Tuesday March 6th. Took 1 rest day!
Week 2 - started March 10th. Took no rest days!
Week 3 - started March 14th
FIRST MILE RAN WITHOUT STOPPING - March 20th
Week 4 - started March 21st
Week 5 - started March 26th
Gareth111278

Post by Gareth111278 »

Just done Week 4 run 1 too, yes its hard. I struggled . I'm 6 foot and 16 stone. But I got through it & with no music too [i forgot my Iphone up date had wiped my music!]

Keep trying. it gets easier , you only failed by a small margin, you don't notice how fit you are getting until you notice something non-running , example:- on my 'dog walk route' there's a short steep hill, normally it has me huffing & puffing to walk up it, this morning I walked up it no problem!

Good Luck, Gareth
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

I'm on week 4 run 2 and finding it really difficult. I have to walk the last 5min run on the treadmill. Thinking of repeating week 4. Has anyone else done this. Up until now ive really enjoyed it!
NeilHughes1

Post by NeilHughes1 »

I went through exactly the same problem on week 4 and felt a failure but pleased to tell you after doing it 5 times, I can now do it all without any problems so keep going until you feel that you have mastered week 4.

The best advice I can give is the same as an earlier poster said in this thread "Throttle...Throttle" forget speed and go for slow steady jog that is a little quicker than walking.

I also always try to "pay it back" if I have to stop at anytime by doing an additional minutes run at the end.

1 week ago I thought that I had reached my limit but it's amazing how quickly you're body will adjust, so keep at it :)
Pushingit

Post by Pushingit »

Don't worry if you don't complete a run - do as much if it as you can and repeat it the next day and try to do a little more - keep repeating until you crack it - you're still improving your fitness and burning calories - try not to look ahead it only gives you progression anxiety i.e. If I only just managed this run how will I do the longer ones coming up - I got stuck on wk 8 for some reason - 3 x 28mins - did the first one all pleased with myself but it took me 3 attempts to do it again - for some reason my legs were like lead - just keep plugging away & you'll get there - Im 5ft 3 and 14 stone and today I jogged for 35mins non stop - so if I can do it so can you - keep going - it's torture somedays and I can't say I enjoy jogging but I love the feeling of satisfaction when I complete a run