Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Aggie

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by Aggie »

Hi
Im Aggie, I just bought the app for my iphone and I live in Western Australia. Im rather excited about starting tomorrow but apprehensive at the same time as Ive never been a runner and cant even imagine myself running for a minute! But I trust that its all going to happen for me. By the way, Im not too sure where to post from here. Can anyone help me please?
Aggie :)
makeshiftfavvi

Post by makeshiftfavvi »

Hella!
I'm 15, overweight ard really really really REALLY depressed about what I've become.
If I has to identify myself, I would call myself a swimmer. Recently (about 3 months ago) I damaged my left shoulder's rotator cuff at swimming squads. It was already damaged prior to this so I was unconsciously changing from using my rotator cuff muscle to my other muscles around it to swim, damaging them further. During winter I quit squads for about 2 months due to sickness and once i recovered the fact that a) the pool is outside and b) we train from 5:30 to 7:30 during non-daylight saving making it really really cold. When I decided to join again it was spring but still cold and still dark.
My first session was proably one if the most intense ever. We were continuously sprinting butterfly and amongst all of the hustle and bustle me and a guy going another direction on another lane collected arms, but due to their position in the air and stroke I was the one that got her arm thrown back. When I tried to bring it back over again I got my thumb and pointer finger twisted in the lanerope. That night I tossed and turned because of the severe pain in my shoulder. I continued to swim but because if the stress in my left arm my right arm got worse as well :(

Anyway under physio instructions I have strengthened, built back my strength, gone back, and redamaged. We are back to square one.
During all this time off (I used to swim 3-4 times a week), I have been gradually putting on weight. And it's starting to show.
I need some other sport that dosent rely heavily on my arms.

I have never been a runner or have ever considered running so it will be a first :) I want to start this program now since I have 3 renaming weeks of school holidays. I will also be starting at a new school this year and want to get off to a good start. I also really need to loose weight and have (even though it will be harder) opted for the burn it off eat healthy rather than crash diet puke all exess calories diet.

Any tips for staying motivated and the average running and walking pace on a treadmill?

Thanks in advance,
belle

PS I am really sorry for writing so much I have this annoying habit to drag on about everything. Hey I'm doing it again :)
Redro

Post by Redro »

Day one - just downloaded the app! Many, many years ago I ran about 15 marathons - and 2 Ultra Marathons (2 Oceans, Cape Town). Have done very little for far too many years - but would really like to run a half marathon in Lyon, France this year. I read the reviews and figured this app was a good place to start...so will be heading off for my first session later today (even though the temp here in France is zero degrees).
Nick
randomangel

Post by randomangel »

Hello I am Claire and I have just completed the first week which I found satisfying and challenging enough! I have been a gym bunny for about 5 years as I was very nervous of being outside to exercise! I have now progressed and am looking forward to the challenge and mostly the support of this app.
Already wondering what I will be able to do as follow up as this is so encouraging and straightforward to use?
Many thanks to the creators
C
Richardschulz

Post by Richardschulz »

Hi all.
Im Richard,35 from Milton keynes.i started C25K today as Im determined to shape up and just be a bit more active really(some idle small talk over Christmas has made me set my sights on doing a triathlon!!)
Good luck to you all i say!!!
NCBeachMom

Post by NCBeachMom »

Hi, I'm Katherine. I'm from Coastal North Carolina. I will be turning the big 40 this year! Argh! I have two awesome little girls and a very supportive Hubby. I have always known myself to be over weight. I am sick to death of not getting to wear the cute clothes that the size does not have an X or P in it! I would love to be able to go to the beach and not feel ashamed. I also want to improve my over all health. I need to be a better role model for my girls.
Today was my first day with C25K! I did not die! I really really really want to stick with this. I am actually participating in my first 5k Sat. I will not be running, but walking. I can't wait to actually be able to run without thinking I am going to fall out in a ditch! Wish me luck!
PeggyFSU

Post by PeggyFSU »

Hi. My nMe is Peggy and I live in Florida, USA. I have recently lost 48 pounds and am working to shift my walking to running. I am working through the app slowly and am up to week three. I probably need to focus a bit on technique now.
Ssujh1

Post by Ssujh1 »

Hey there - I'm Jo and have just started, am finishing week 1 tonight. I'm not built for running but have friends who get so much out of it so thought I'd give it a try. Have found it tough but quite enjoyable - I'm kinda proud of myself actually.

Oh, and I'm in South London
Dirlo

Post by Dirlo »

I'm Colleen.
I'm from Pacific Grove CA but am in school in Flagstaff AZ.

My friend and I just started the get running app and we love it so far! I've never been a runner ... Truthfully I've always hated it. I've been a swimmer all my life. But it is so hard for me to get motivated to swim without a set workout and the pool hours at my school not working with my schedule. So my friend and I decided that since most the snow is melting that it would be a great time to start running outdoors! Flagstaff has amazing trails and it has really helped to have the lady encouraging me to keep running and to not just walk like I would if I was on my own. We've only just started but I believe because of starting this I made my first weight goal which is really exciting for me!
My friend and I also studied abroad in London 2 years ago now so the fact that the lady has a British accent has really makes us miss england and in a way brings us back to there!

Thank you so much for this app!
I was also looking that someone else had asked about a gps and I was wondering if that would work with the itouch or just the iPhone?
Dee C

Post by Dee C »

Hi all!
I'm a former treadmill runner; and I mean former. It's been a couple of years since I ran with any frequency, but it's past time to start up again. This time I'm taking it to the streets (or rather, sidewalks). I went out for a walk/run yesterday and thought I was going to die. I came home knowing I needed help and motivation. I found this app, downloaded and I'm motivated to get started! It's makes sense - getting started slowly and building up to a 30 minute run. I also downloaded some stretches and am going to make that part of my running routine. I wasn't good about stretching in the past, but hope to be better about it moving forward. I'm not running to lose weight, mostly just want to tone up what is there and feel better!