Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jetc

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by Jetc »

Hi, I'm Jeff, I've never run before but just entered the Bristol 1/2 marathon in September. I'm finding thi get running app exelent to use, even if this is only my 3rd training run, it has encouraged me to feel that I can do this and Im not trying to bight off more than I can chew and so putting myself off.
Carriearmywife

Post by Carriearmywife »

Hey there! i am a 30 y/o mother of 3. I will be doing week 5 day 2 tomorrow, been running the program with my 10 year old daughter. I have had some history running cross country in HS, served in the army 3 years and then was a police officer. I loved to run but after having my last two children I didn't know where to start (wish I had never stopped). This program started easy enough for both me and my daughter. It is now our time to catch up. I love the program! I am just a bit worried about W5R3 but we will do it! Thanks
sampink84

Post by sampink84 »

Hi everyone!

I am Sam(antha) and I'm from London, England which means I am constantly cold and battling the rain.

Tonight I am going to do run 1, week 1 (again). I started the C25K programme a couple of weeks ago and the next day got really sick and have only just recovered! (I was given anti-biotics and everything!). I have started blogging about my efforts as a bit of an amusing diary of the programme which I hope will:

a) encourage me to keep it up
b) help others who start the programme.

I'm 26 years old and the reason I am starting the app is because I need to lose some weight and because I am doing the race for life in Hyde Park in July. I'd really like to be able to actually run the race for life rather than walk it. There is also the peer pressure that is my family. They all go running and I am the slob who sits on the sofa watching crap TV shows.

Please have a look at my blog: www.samanthapriestruns.blogspot.com

Lots of love

Sam xx
Cyn

Post by Cyn »

I'm a 55 yo grandma currently living in New Jersey. I've never done any physical activity for more than 2 weeks in my entire life. This app is working miracles just to keep me off the couch! I'm on W5R2 and just developed swollen ankles for the first time in my life. A bit scary but surprisingly (for me) my main concern is being able to continue running. Normally this would be my cue to get back on the couch. All the best to you
All!
Sissi

Post by Sissi »

Hi, from Geneva Switzerland.
So, here goes!
I have currently lost around 30kg's in weight and now attempting to run!
So far so good! I have never been able to run due to the weight that I was carrying. For the last 3/4 months i have been walking 3km every day, so now its time to 'up' the pace!
I am in week 1, i finished run 3. Monday I start week 2. Yikes! Can i make those 1.5 minute runs!? YES, i can!!
:D
Hammerjanem

Post by Hammerjanem »

Hi, my name is Jane and im from Wisconsin. I signed up for my first 5k which is in late August. I started couch to 5k on March 13. I'm on my second time around with week one. Because I've never been a runner, & am about 100# overweight, it's been a slow go. Most days I do well...but am not feeling confidant enough to move onto week 2 yet. I need that recovery time, sometimes (especially on runs 7 & 8) even more than 90 seconds. My lung capacity isn't quite up to par yet from having pneumonia this past winter. Once I conquer the couch to 5k I'm going to continue doing it, but will need to add some cross training too because the 5k I signed up for has 11 obstacles throughout the run as well. I know i can do it!!!!
lucyinthesky

Post by lucyinthesky »

I just wrote out a really long intro and then somehow seemed to have lost it :evil:

I don't think I can recreate the humour and style that was in my first post :lol: , so I'm just going to say:
Hi

I'm Lucy - living in London - started the programme 2 weeks ago and loving it - hoping to go from a lardy wheezy non runner to a natural athlete with this programme, and I look foward to sharing my progress with you!

Thanks for the app - I love it!
wrxmania

Post by wrxmania »

:D Hi all,

I am Brian, live in Central Scotland and have decided running is for me.

After joining the gym in August 2010, I have (in spite of work consuming most of my life!) managed to keep steady and reliable and heading for a target of 150 visits or running sessions this year.

I have been "running" outdoors and have completed week 3 of Get Running, using RunKeeper to log my distances etc.

Excellent app, easy to follow and works with other apps on my iPhone, including iPod, perfectly.

Looking forward to week 4, although will be a challenge. Although weeks 1, 2, and 3 have been difficult in their own respect, several times I have done to sessions back to back so I am hoping week 4 will be where the pace starts to make me REALLY struggle!

Anyway, good reading about everyone else's progress. Inspiring book if you need it is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0099 ... ss_product

Brian :)
MrsG

Post by MrsG »

Hi!
:D I'm MrsG and have been mentally struggling with getting fit for ages.
Love my iPhone so this App was the way to go!
1st day of my spring holidays today so I downloaded the App downloaded 101 Ruinning songs and got out there!
:oops: It was a slog but I added a bit more recovery and tried my best with the runs.
Am feeling motivated to get fit & loose weight. Think i'll do the stretching sessions from my Xmas fitness DVD tomorrow to help make run 2 a wee bit easier!!
;) x
hmaitken

Post by hmaitken »

Hi! My name is Heather and I am from Melbourne Australia. I have decided to take up running as an alternative to dance which I did for 17 years. For the last year I have taken a fairly decent break from hardcore exercise. I really haven't done much besides walking/cycling to uni. Oh and a 550km (9 day) bike ride to raise money for Diabetes. I quit dance because I was sick of a world that focused more on image than health. I am a type 1 diabetic and this became a real issue. I thought that perhaps a fairly solitary sport where I am free to look after my diabetes without ignorant judging from team mates would be perfect and cathartic. I am also hoping that it will help me to become more comfortable with the disease and my need to look after my self all the time. Not to mention the number of audio books I'll get through! :D

I know it's a big goal to be setting but over the years I would like to move on to marathons and ultra marathons. What can I say? I'm not happy unless I am pushing my self as far as I can.