Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
MissCassandra

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by MissCassandra »

Hello my name is Cassandra and I live in Sydney,Australia. I have just completed week 1 of this program and loved it. I am very curious to see how far I can go and would love to complete the program and even become a runner. I've always considered running to be the domain of others but I am starting to question why I had excluded myself. I've put it down to laziness and distraction as the primary reasons. Now that I've started this program, motivation has come from nowhere and I can't wait for my next run. There are many places to run from my house and it's a nice change from the gym. Thanks for a great program.
Nicjayrob

Post by Nicjayrob »

Hi!
My name is nicola & i live in lincolnshire, england. I am just about to go on my 1st run, and am quite nervous!!! I used to run at school but that was over 10 years ago! I had my second child nearly 3 months ago & am trying to lose the excess weight! Anyway, off 4 my run! Wish me luck!!!!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

I hope you enjoyed your first run, Nicola!

Cassandra, I think it's pretty normal to think of running as being for other people. That's certainly what I thought before I found out about Couch to 5K, and built Get Running using it! It's a sad thing, because it's a lovely exercise, and it's actually very accessible if you take things easy as you will be. You don't need to be going out and sweating like crazy, running a huge distance, or running fast, and trying to do marathons. Once you've worked up to it, you can go out for a twenty minute run, and feel good about it. Or just go for ten minutes if that's all the time you've got! Anyway, make it your sport and do with it what you will :-) I hope you enjoy it enormously!
speedline

Post by speedline »

Hi after piling on the pounds for last couple of years I have said enough is enough and started a diet the beginning of the month which is working well. I am thinking that starting running will aid the pounds to fall off quicker.
After being a postman and walking miles everyday for 15 years I changed jobs to work on the railways with minimal exercise hence the reason the pounds piled on.

Look forward to reading post for hints and tips and just starting the couch to 5K
grant666uk

Post by grant666uk »

Hi there my name is Grant. I live in Sunny Scotland. I used get running last year and finished week 9 just as winter kicked in. So I have had a good 4 months rest. Just started back and I am on week three. I have four huskies and I am training with one of them. Going to start doing CaniCross once I am a little fitter.
rourkey

Post by rourkey »

Hi Everyone

My name is Linda and I have just started Couch to 5k. I have been having problems with my thyroid and struggling with my weight and although I don't particularly like running I thought I would give it a go. If I am going to run at all I like to be outside. I did my first run on Monday and didn't find it as hard as I thought I would. Went out again tonight and ran along the river. I think the lady coaching is brilliant. When I have tried running in the past I have taken a stop watch with me which can be a pain. This way I don't have to think about it as I am told what to do. I pop the Ipod on so that it motivates me and away I go. My main problem will be sticking with it so any encouragement would be welcome. If anyone else runs by the river at Walton on Thames it would be great to hear from you. I have to go into hosptial near the end of May to have a lump removed from my thyroid so I am trying to get fit before this and then hopefully I will recover quicker and can get back at it as soon as I have recovered enough.

Looking forward to running again Friday.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi Linda,

I too hated running when I started, but i am a convert. This program is brilliant and the app just makes it all so easy. I struggled with the 1 min runs when I started but here I am in week 6 so it is really doable. Good luck and nice to meet you :)

Dawn
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

Howdy!

I'm Eddie, and I'm currently on week 1 of the programme! (feels a bit like a group therapy introduction)

To be honest this all started with the London Marathon last weekend, but not probably the way everyone's thinking. I was working security, basically diverting people to the meet and greets, I was doing an hour on, then an hour and a half off. After wandering round a bit of central London, I realised there's not much you can do when you've no transport, and you've got to be back in time. So I wandered down to the finish line, stood loitering by the VIP area hoping to see someone a bit more famous than Fergie and Andy and in clear view of the finish line, I had an epiphany...

A lot of the post 4 hour mark runners were just like me or you, these weren't elite athletes, devoid of body fat, no they were just average people doing something on mass. Admittedly it was fun watching the odd person close to death, or the ones who's legs just could not manage those last few yards teetering over. But none the less, the thought was still there Runners aren't all Olympians, many are "normal" people (in the loosest sense of the word).

So sure enough Monday night i pulled out my trainers, try to run 2 laps of my estate and to see what happened. As I suspected I had to run/walk, ended up out of breath, and very sweaty. At the end while dissecting the events in my mind, I came back to the thought: if those marathoneers can do it so could I. But I also realised that I needed a bit of a method to train to, after reading a fair bit of conflicting info on the net, I tried the app store, and found "Get running"

I like the way it sets out a plan, and builds you up, rather than just me haphazardly trying to train up to running.

So thats my story so far....
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) That's an awesome story Eddie! I really like it!
rourkey

Post by rourkey »

Howdy Eddie

I did laugh at the bit where you stood watching the ones that could barely make it over the finish line. Although I shouldn't laugh because I probably couldn't make it past the starting line let alone anything else.

Keep up the good work.

Linda
Toilet Duck wrote:Howdy!

I'm Eddie, and I'm currently on week 1 of the programme! (feels a bit like a group therapy introduction)

To be honest this all started with the London Marathon last weekend, but not probably the way everyone's thinking. I was working security, basically diverting people to the meet and greets, I was doing an hour on, then an hour and a half off. After wandering round a bit of central London, I realised there's not much you can do when you've no transport, and you've got to be back in time. So I wandered down to the finish line, stood loitering by the VIP area hoping to see someone a bit more famous than Fergie and Andy and in clear view of the finish line, I had an epiphany...

A lot of the post 4 hour mark runners were just like me or you, these weren't elite athletes, devoid of body fat, no they were just average people doing something on mass. Admittedly it was fun watching the odd person close to death, or the ones who's legs just could not manage those last few yards teetering over. But none the less, the thought was still there Runners aren't all Olympians, many are "normal" people (in the loosest sense of the word).

So sure enough Monday night i pulled out my trainers, try to run 2 laps of my estate and to see what happened. As I suspected I had to run/walk, ended up out of breath, and very sweaty. At the end while dissecting the events in my mind, I came back to the thought: if those marathoneers can do it so could I. But I also realised that I needed a bit of a method to train to, after reading a fair bit of conflicting info on the net, I tried the app store, and found "Get running"

I like the way it sets out a plan, and builds you up, rather than just me haphazardly trying to train up to running.

So thats my story so far....