Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Grannyhobbler

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by Grannyhobbler »

Hi I'm mum of a toddler 34 and have totally lost any will power to start running Again since having my little boy . Used to be a runner but not any more and am 5 st over weight now. Just completed wk 1 day 2 And feeling good and even enjoying it ..... A lot !

Fingers crossed for the next run .... Getting off the couch is the hardest part!

Xx
mrswheezer

Post by mrswheezer »

Hi! I live in Texas, and I hate running. ;) However, so far, I've managed to complete all the way through W6R1. I am really surprised with how well this program is going for me. Before starting, I could have given pointers to professional couch potatoes.

I have 35 pounds I really ought to lose, but so far, I've actually gained 2 pounds on this program. However! I've also lost inches around my waist and hips. I'm hoping the weight starts coming off eventually... :? Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the fact that I've gone from feeling like I'm dying after a minute of running to successfully running (jogging, actually) 20 whole minutes in a row and not collapsing.

So, thanks for the forum and the app!

Oh, yes, the pertinent details. I'm 39 (will turn 40 in a few weeks) with three young children and a husband who has been super supportive of me going through the program.
Drbexl

Post by Drbexl »

Hi
Bex here ... http://drbexl.co.uk/2011/10/30/im-signe ... run-south/. Just spent a while going through the apps & decided to for this one... Just looking if have time for one now ...
:-)
Escaladeguy21

Post by Escaladeguy21 »

Hi all,
I'm Adam and I live in Santa Rosa, CA (1 hour north of San Francisco). I am extremely unhealthy and overweight. I'm 22, 6'1" 275lbs, and just under a pack a day smoker.

I've never been in shape, I did, however play a season of high school basketball. I ran during that obviously, but easily was the most overweight player on the team. That was 7 years ago...

Anyways, the thing that got me to FINALLY start working towards my health is how shitty I've been feeling lately. I've been having horrible sleeping patterns, extreme fatigue, and very high anxiety. I'm very optimistic about the benefits of exercise on my life and general well being. I look forward to the challenge this program has to offer me.

I've just completed week 1 run 2. It's pretty damn tough but I can manage so far. I'm really sore, but like working through the pain.

This seems like a great community and I'm really excited to see what comes next!

-adam
Escaladeguy21

Post by Escaladeguy21 »

Wow I just found out my BMI is somewhere around 37! That disgusts me. Hopefully this program can help me get on track to lowering that.
expat68

Post by expat68 »

Hello :) Newbie here. I've just tried my first run. It felt like my lungs were being ripped from my chest - who knew a 1 minute run could hurt so much?! But I did it, so that's a start.

I'm a woman, living in the UK though originally from the US, 5'5" and 11st3. And very unfit. I'm hoping that Couch to 5k will help get me fit, help get me into my little black dress for the Christmas party season, and by my 44th birthday in January I should be running 5k! I also hope that this will give me the motivation to stop smoking for good, an addiction I've struggled with for years.

I was inspired by Charlie Brooker, who's probably brought a lot of people here :D , and also by my sister, who's on week 9 now and looks fantastic.

I have a torn cartilage in one knee, which I hope won't hold me back. I need good knee supports and a better pair of trainers, which will have to wait until after payday. Any other advice particularly about keeping my ageing knees from holding me back would be most welcome.
karenv76

Post by karenv76 »

Hi I'm Karen, new to the app and this forum. I have two children and work full time and any excuse not to exercise has been a good one till now !!!

I used to run 7 miles about four times a week at the gym on a treadmill with my iPod and absolutely loved it.

I have been a couch potato for around two years now, feeling really bad about it too since I've put a stone and a half on :o

I needed some motivation to get back into running and I want to do it outdoors this time round so this seemed perfect to get me going again. Plan to do run 1 of week 1 tomorrow before work and see how I go :)
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Hi everyone. My name is Todd from the U.S. I'm 42 and used to be a 10+ mile a day runner about ten years ago. Due to various personal issues I quit running. The last few years I've been wanting to start back but just couldn't find the time. My wife works nights and we have a four-year old son so it's been tough. Thanks to some help from a family member I can now start back running.

I'm currently a good 50-60 pounds overweight. I started yesterday but couldn't even finish all the runs. I'm pretty sore today. But I'm going to go at it again tomorrow and finish all the runs this time!
RachieP

Post by RachieP »

Hi There :D
My name is Rachel, I'm 31 years old and live in a small town in south Wales with my husband and cat!!
I have tried running on numerous occasions previously but I'm on W2 R2 and am feeling very positive and actually feel that I may finally get into running!!
I also practice yoga which I feel really helps with the post run aches and pains...

Fingers crossed this will be the start of a long and injury free running routine ;)
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

Hi!

I am 26 and from the coast of Australia.

I have documented each run on my blog to keep myself on track and hopefully help others. It tells you all about me :)

Thank you!

http://ausgirlscouchto5ks.blogspot.com/