Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Toilet Duck

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by Toilet Duck »

rourkey wrote:Howdy Eddie

I did laugh at the bit where you stood watching the ones that could barely make it over the finish line. Although I shouldn't laugh because I probably couldn't make it past the starting line let alone anything else.

Keep up the good work.

Linda
One guy I felt sooooo sorry for, it was coming up for the 3 hour mark, probably about 2:59:45 ish, so these guys running through are quick, really quick. This bloke comes up for the finishing line looking really pale, and he starts to stagger, and goes down literally 15 yards from the finish line. He tries to get up take a step, straight down again. After 3-4 more attempts to get to his feet, falling each time a marshal picked him up and helped him over the line.

It was weird to see someone who had physically given everything, and had nothing left at all. Yet still had the strength of mind to not give up, to keep going, even if it meant going on hands and knees. That to me crystallised the true definition of "determination". The biggest shame was if he'd been able to hold it together for those last 15 yards, he'd have come in under 3 hours.

On a lighter note at about 5:45:00 ish, I saw another woman coming in, again looking really pale, and starting to stagger, stumbles head first, and landed straight on her head. Followed by a forward roll. I know You're not supposed to giggle about this kind of thing but I ended up laughing out loud for a couple of mins over that one.

Anyways W1R2 out of the way now got to rest tomorrow then go out Saturday.

later...
Wannabe runner!

Post by Wannabe runner! »

Hi I'm 24 just started trying to get fitter & would live to be able to jog long distances.
I loved this app as sounds as I found it it's fab! Will u do a 10k one? I searched & got one but it's got an annoying voice & not as good as this one!!
I jog with my dogs who Im sure love this app too :o)
Lillyagnes

Post by Lillyagnes »

Hi. I just started at week 4 (I had been jogging a bit, but going too far, so this seemed like a good way to reasonably develop an actual like of running). Thanks for this. First day was great.
Vonnyh

Post by Vonnyh »

Hello I can't believe it but I'm on w3d3 and still enjoying it, never thought I could do it. Allways hated running but in the end it's a simple way to exercise and no need to get to the gym when you can start just outside your door. I love the app as it helped me to get into running easy. Well done. Started to run with my dog too but think she's gotta get used to it still jumps infront of me.
Hanna

Post by Hanna »

Hi, I'm hanna and live in Kent.
I've just finished week four and am really impressed with this app! I used to do 100m and 200m for my school but really struggled with anything long distance!
I've signed up for Race for Life in June which will be the third one I have taken part in and am determined to run the whole thing this time!
andym

Post by andym »

Hi, I'm Andy from Wrexham. I used to run a bit a couple of years ago and even ran a 10K race. However now I find I have got to start all over again and have one more run in week 1. I have promised myself I will complete this and aim to enter another 10K later this year.
fivereaders

Post by fivereaders »

Thought I would introduce myself. This morning I finished the first run of week six! Week six!!! I am 57 years old and have always wanted to be a runner but every time I would try, I would burn out quickly. This program really works! (Too many exclamation points, I know, but this is so exciting to me.) I live in Boulder Colorado, where I may be the only non-runner in town. But now, I'm on my way. Thanks for such a great program. Already looking ahead, hoping you'll have something for me once I finish this program. It's so nice having "someone" along for the run, telling me what to do! :D
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hello everyone! Just thought I'd say hello to all of the new posters! :)

Dawn :)
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hi everyone!
Day 1 of week 1 runner here, probably dont deserve the title of runner yet :lol:
The app is great - dowloaded it yesterday and then got a playlist ready on my ipod.
day 1 done - wobbly legs by end but did manage it :!:
thanks to the guys who developed it. I have wanted to run for such a long time but just didnt know how to start, so you have made that easy for me...
fingers crossed will keep you all posted
by ther way I live in cheshire - England. So no chance of passing out whilst running in a heatwave...
shytalkz

Post by shytalkz »

Hi I'm Baz and I'm in the process of becoming a reformed long-term couch potato!

I'm 51, used be in the army in my formative years and was thus pretty fit, but gave it all up many, many aeons ago, vowing *never* to run *ever* again...however, after having successfully given up smoking for a year, and having become a lard-arse, I've needed a new challenge and C25K with Get Running has provided it.

Tomorrow I will be on W3R1. I've been fine with the first two weeks, albeit I seem to have a touch of shin splints in my right leg, which I'm hoping will get lost before the morning. If not, well, guys who've been lost their legs in Afghanistan can manage 26 miles on stumps using those bouncy things, so I'm sure I can put up with a bit of ouch for half an hour!

Have loved reading the previous posters' comments and I definitely concur that it is Get Running that is the glue holding my commitment to run and get fit together.

Cheers and best wishes to you all!

Baz