Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
mcaruth

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by mcaruth »

Hi,
I'm just starting the Get Running program. I've completed day 2. Ha! I'm 54 yrs old, about 50 lbs overweight and really want to run in a 5K with my son in March. Will I make it? I don't know but I'm going to give it my best. My mother recently passed away, Christmas was horrible without her and somehow getting out and jogging even if for a little bit gets my mind off things. Anyway, enough rambling. Good luck to everyone!
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Hello, all!
I'm Joel, 5'11'', 17 years old, and about 40lbs overweight. I really like running, but have never got myself to actually keep a routine of more than a week. After downloading this app, I told myself that I would join this forum if I could make it to week 2... And I did! So, here I am, and I'm ready to get into shape!

I did w2r1 today, and it was the first time I have ever run while it was snowing! The snow plus a ton of wind made it tough, but I survived and can't wait to go again! I hope to finish this program and keep running for the rest of my life!

Also, thanks so much for all the optimism. I've been reading over this forum for the past week, and everybody is just so encouraging! I love it! I know that, with everyone's support, my running will be soooo much easier!

Joel
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Hello all! My name is Gabriel, I am 6'2" and tipping the scale at 295lbs with a goal weight of 245lbs and I am from the other side of the pond in the US. I have just started the C25k. I am not a runner and never was. I played La Cross and American Football in High School, I played Football semi professional for a little while after that. But I have never ran/jogged or anything that did not use a cleats on your shoes.
I recent picked up cycling (mountain biking, road cycling) which has a cleat on the shoe, :lol: and really enjoying it. I am starting to race this coming year and the bike shop told me that running would really help. Well here I am, Week 1 and I logged in my 1st walk/run. I learned the following:
I need to stretch a bit more before and after.
Drink a bit more water.
Thank you for all the great info on the site it has helped a lot and made it enjoyable. The technique that I learned made running more fun that a challenge. Well I will keep you posted with update and as far as motivation I should be doing my last week/last day run on a 5K race. A little ambitious I know.
Abubakar

Post by Abubakar »

Hello all! My name is Abubakar and I live in North London. (feels like an AA meeting). Over the last two years I have put on considerable weight due to exam stress and there isn't a gym in walking distance of where I currently live so I was kinda in a crappy situation. I recently came across the c25k programme and thought this should get me back into to activity.

On Monday I tried it but found maintaining the intervals difficult but the exercise definitely do-able. I then found this wonderful app yesterday and so last night I tried the run with it and I fell in love with both the app and my new digital personal trainer. So I started again with yesterday as my first day.

There is an astro turf pitch less than 100m from my front door, which I find ideal for running. Only problem I have is that I didn't come across this app sooner!
merideth.cohrs

Post by merideth.cohrs »

Good afternoon everyone! I just started running last week after MANY years off...did a week of walking and then a week of run/walk from another C25K program (1 min run/2 min walk). Then I found this app and liked the progression better, so I'm starting it up next week. I'm really excited and have signed up for a 5K in March and a 1/2 marathon in June. VERY aggressive goals, but I want to make sure I have as much motivation and accountability as I can muster so I stick with it!! I'm also doing studio yoga twice a week for flexibility, mobility and core strength. I can't wait to go through all of this with you and help each other through it!!

Cheers,
Merideth
Tracimom2

Post by Tracimom2 »

Hello all, my name is Traci I'm 31. I bought my first pair of running shoes tonight and plan to make my first run tomorrow! I've tried starting run 1 once before but didn't continue. So I'm starting fresh now. My 33 year old sister suffers from a common form of cardiomyopathy (heart disease) and has started running to help the overall health of her heart. She lives it and is great physical shape after just a couple years! She ran her first full marsthon reacently. So I would love to join the fight with her although I am about 40lbs overweight and super out if shape. My other dilemma is I have exactlly enough time to do the program and run the 5k mini heart marathon, in her honor. I live across the country so I can't be there with her but can sign up, donate and run at the same time here in Texas while they run in Ohio. She would so proud of me so I REALLY want to do this. I haven't exercised in over 2 years though so it won't be easy and I can't miss a single run. I'm nervous! But excited too! I'm twittering @tracileegarner! Wish me luck!
GueraDD

Post by GueraDD »

I am from California. I used to run before but got sick and had to have surgery and somehow fell off the wagon..I've tried to get back but it has been really hard. I have gained 20lbs and I am looking forward to getting in a routine. Any suggestionss? Thank you for this app I hope that I am able to use it.
Jacster

Post by Jacster »

Hi all - I live in Western Australia. I am new to running and am almost 50! I plan to run a 12 km fun run (who ever decided to call it a 'fun' run should be slapped!!). I am up to W1D2 LOL! Here's hoping and praying that I make it! I used to run many many years ago so am hoping that the muscle memory returns. But now I am about 20kg overweight so really have a challenge. Pls wish me luck :?
Siona10K

Post by Siona10K »

Hi, my name is Siona and I am from Amsterdam. I started the program After Xmas as am early Newyears resolution: there's no time like the present :mrgreen: . Hoever in week 1 my boyfriend had decided to break up with me. Instead of quitting I have used the exercise to help me stay focused. So today I finished run 2 of week 4. And proud of it. Ciao!
Stephlperry76

Post by Stephlperry76 »

Hi Everyone,
My name is Stephanie and I am from the San Francisco Bay Area (USA). I'm 35 years old and have been overweight all my life. In July, I joined a bootcamp workout and have lost 30 pounds. Now that I've been consitently exercising, I've seen myself do workouts that I never thought I'd be able to do. From there came this desire to run! I started this app yesterday and I love it. I almost quit it after the first 1 minute run. I kept going and finished all 8. I'm proud of myself already and excited to get further along!