Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Biscottisblog

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by Biscottisblog »

Hi Everyone,

I've been training for a couple of months now for my first ever 5k run in July and, despite crying myself to sleep at night before a cross country run at school (where I walked most of the way and was always last!), at 35 years old, I have finally found a genuine love of running.

My trainer at the gym has set me a group of programmes to follow which he changes every 5 weeks to get me to my goal of running a whole 5k, however, I do at least 1 run a week outdoors and the Get Running app is my ideal companion - calm, informative and gives me plenty of progress updates to keep me going! I did a 28 minute continuous run today for the first time thanks to Get Running - I have tried using Nike+ but the robotic lady updating you is too quiet and the distance/calories burnt are inconsistant and unreliable.

I am proudly writing a blog all about my training, programmes and kit - www.biscottisblog.co.uk - please feel free to comment on anything you find interesting or you can help me with!

Happy running! :D
Biscotti x
TurtleSpeed

Post by TurtleSpeed »

Hi I'm Tiffany. An oncology nurse by trade i have lost 23 pounds over the last year. I have always wanted to be a "runner" so when I found you app I thought here we go! I am on day 2 week 1 and love it. I find that I get a headache after I run and am very hungry after my run, any suggestions. I live in Maine so I always find great placed to run. I would love to know how much ground I am covering!
Saskatchewanbeauty

Post by Saskatchewanbeauty »

wow!!!absolutley love this app!! ThankYou
newly addicted to running a total natural high :D
Suzilou

Post by Suzilou »

Hi there everyone. I've just completed week 1 run 2 this evening and went further than I thought I could possibly do. What a fantastic app this is. Set up a fab playlist to keep me going.
BetterMe

Post by BetterMe »

Hello All,
I just downloaded this app & have completed run 1 week 1. I feel great already & feel highly motivated. I chose this program because I am very overweight. I have been gaining slowly for about a year now & within the last couple of weeks it has hit me like a ton of bricks. I am ready to start looking better & have my clothes fit me again, but more importantly than that I want to feel better. I have never been a runner I always have thought I was too big to run & not athletic enough. I have heard many success stories & want to give this a try. I' m very nervous though because having no running experience I am very worried about the pain I might be facing. I run on a treadmill the majority of the time; I don't know if that is a good idea or not. Also I know shoes are extremely important I have a nice pair of new Nikes but I don't know that they would be the best for running. If anyone has any advise I would greatly appreciate it. I look forward to getting encouragement & getting to know you all. :)
Tan

Post by Tan »

Hi, I've just done week 5 run 1. I hate running but thought I would try it as my friend is a keen runner and always says how it helps her manage stress. I love this app. I could not have got this far without it. It is really easy to not go running after a hard day at work but I soon discovered that this forum is excellent for keeping you going.

My habit now is to do my run (40 mins out of your day- not much!), and then check the beginner's forum to see if there are any relevant posts. It REALLY helps. To any beginner, you don't have to register to view the posts- see the ones about keeping motivation- they help. I, like others, get concerned before any 'new big run' but find am managing them all. But what next? Can you make us another app?

Thankyou so much again for this one though! If need be I'll just keep repeating the final week over and over!
shytalkz

Post by shytalkz »

Better late than never!

Having done W4R2 today, I figured it was about time I finally got around to introducing myself on the forum: I'm 51, was fit and lithe in my youth as a result of being in the army, but, 30 years on, am now somewhat of a lard arse :shock:!

I smoked for years, but finally booted it on the evening before my 50th birthday; seemed as good a time to pack in as any, I guess. Overnight, I went from 30-a-day to zero (cold turkey), and over the course of the next 12 months, put on 3 stone. Soooo, which is better: death from lung cancer, or from obesity?!

Now that not smoking is no longer a challenge, I needed a new one. Getting blobby gave me the desire to pick up running again, but the GetRunning [GR] app has certainly proved a positive boon and has stopped me doing too much, too soon, knackering myself as a consequence and giving up. Having been used to some hairy-arsed corporal kicking me into getting going again when things got too bad way back when, the lovely lady's gently encouraging voice is a soothing alternative and I can just tune into my music as I follow instructions. I'm sure I'm falling in love with her...

So, so far, so good...and it's just as well that the running bug has kicked in, as I've accepted a place this week in the 2011 Virgin London Marathon, running for CLIC-Sargent. No pressure then... :D
mamajenny

Post by mamajenny »

Hi, I'm Jenny and cannot quite believe that I've just finished week 1 of this marvelous app. I was a sprinter in high school and have been a walker as an adult, but always felt there was a level of sustained fitness I was missing and which would make me feel better and better prepare me for the hiking my family emjoys. As I've gotten older and busier, running has loomed as the more efficient way to get my exercise, but I've always been afraid of injury. So the incremental learning of Get Running is perfect for me. I've started on the treadmill at the Y and so far so great! Thanks so much for such a well-designed program. I'm really hoping I can push through to the end—right now the idea of running 30 minutes straight seem incredible to me :shock:
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Hi! I just tried Get Running for the first time. I have never been able to run without getting a stitch very early on. Today was great! I loved the simplicity and the encouragement at just the right times. Definitely helped keep me going. Maybe I'll actually be able to stick with it and enjoy running. I have no aspirations to run any races, just want to increase my fitness and destress from life a bit. ;)
funkbass10

Post by funkbass10 »

Hello all,

Just started using the Get Running app on my iTouch, and have almost completed the runs for Week 1. I personally hate running, and would keel over out of breath after running just a couple of minutes. I like the Couch to 5k approach as it eases a person into the world of jogging/running. Good luck to you all with the program.

Matt