Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LindaC

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by LindaC »

Hi all,

My name is Linda and I live in Illinois, USA. Very excited to find this forum. I turned 50 this year, have four children and have struggled with weight for years. I've walked consistently the last 3 years and a dinner conversation between my marathoning husband and 18 year old son who runs seemed to imply that I would never be a runner. Hmm. I decided that I'd decide myself whether or not I could run - even though I couldn't imagine it! Found this app and love, love, love the encouragement of the female voice over my tunes. I actually look forward to my next "run" - though could be considered shuffling for the most part! I'm on W5R1 again as I was afraid of the 20 minute all run on W5R3 so going to try that this week. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Natty1976

Post by Natty1976 »

Hi, my name's Natalie and I live in South Wales, UK. I'm just starting out, completed day 2 of week 1 today and so far I'm really enjoying it! I've always been a bit anti running, a bit paranoid at people laughing at me struggling and wobbling along but I'm determined to give it a go. It's very hilly where I live so I also struggle to find somewhere suitable to run. However, I think the app is brilliant, I find it motivating and inspiring! I would like to lose about a stone and a half and be able to go somewhere at a decent pace without being breathless. Fingers crossed and I look forward to all your stories!
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

Hello, I'm Sheri from Idaho, USA. I have tried running for years and have never reached the status of "runner". I will be hitting a milestone age this year and I'm determined, in my mind at least, to finish this. I am on W1r2, so very early on. I run around my rural neighborhood and the small track at the school nearby. I worry I won't succeed, but I like the encouragement of the gentle British woman telling me to keep going. I'll let you all know how if goes.
Bigsvig

Post by Bigsvig »

Hi, I am a 45 year old woman living in Maryland, USA. I entered a 5K at work on a whim and had a co-worker take me under her wing. She coached me the whole way and kept us on a regimen of run 2 min and walk 1 min. We weren't even the last ones over the finish line. Well, that experience put the bug in me and made me want to run more - or at least be able to run longer distances between walking breaks. The psychology behind this app is brilliant. For me the largest hurdles have been the voices and doubts in my own head. The Get Running App really helps keep the demons at bay. Tonight I run w4r2. Wow.
Anthonydi167

Post by Anthonydi167 »

Hello, my name is Anthony, I'm from SE London, UK. I turned 30 this year, have struggled with my weight since i was around 14, each year I would gradually put on weight, unfortunately It was such a slow rate I didn't realise just how big I had let myself get until a few years ago! Im 5,10 and 207 lbs currently, I've slowly been losing weight over the last 5 years with good spouts of dieting, but have recently decided to take it to the next level, this time last year I couldn't even run for 10 seconds, today i completed W4R1 without much trouble, and I look forward to each run with excitement and can't wait to get stronger and better :)
Pumplehoober

Post by Pumplehoober »

Hi everyone!

My name is Jonathan and I live close to Niagara Falls, Canada.

I'm just starting Week 5 tonight. So far have found this app has completely changed my life! I have been "big" pretty well my whole life and have gotten to the point that something HAS to change. My Doctor mentioned this app to me and I took it on and it has been amazing.

I am completely blown away by the progress I have made and I still have trouble visualizing myself running for 20 minutes straight without stopping this Friday. I have never done that in my 38 years!

The biggest thing for me so far has been the support of my friends. As soon as I mentioned I was doing this, six of my friends (including my wife) all committed to do it with me! Since then a few more people have signed up as well so now we have almost ONE DOZEN people doing this and signing up for a 5k run in September!

You can't buy that kind of support!

Lastly I just want to say a HUGE BRAVO to everyone that is committing to make this change in their life! I don't know you but I am proud of you.

Good job everyone!

Jonathan
Hugybear1

Post by Hugybear1 »

I just finished my first run easier than I thought. I am doing this to get in shape. Loose weight. Stress reducer. I liked running when I was younger. I am know 54 I am hoping that this becomes a habit.
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

LindaC wrote:Hi all,

My name is Linda and I live in Illinois, USA. Very excited to find this forum. I turned 50 this year, have four children and have struggled with weight for years. I've walked consistently the last 3 years and a dinner conversation between my marathoning husband and 18 year old son who runs seemed to imply that I would never be a runner. Hmm. I decided that I'd decide myself whether or not I could run - even though I couldn't imagine it! Found this app and love, love, love the encouragement of the female voice over my tunes. I actually look forward to my next "run" - though could be considered shuffling for the most part! I'm on W5R1 again as I was afraid of the 20 minute all run on W5R3 so going to try that this week. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Hi Linda, I love your story especially this part "Hmm. I decided that I'd decide myself whether or not I could run " Love your spunk. It really feels good to take charge doesn't it? I never thought I could do this and neither did my husband and children. I live in Florida, my Father lived in Illinois most of my childhood. I would visit as a child on summer breaks. Fond memories, I remember him taking me to Lincoln Park Zoo and the horse races. My reason for wanting to do this is because both my parents have passed away due to heart disease, both died with heart attacks, my cholesterol is through the roof, and someday I would like to see Grandchildren. I shuffle when I run too, my excuse is my legs are short, :lol: but I really think everyone has to find their own pace and what works for them.
Linda
xatata

Post by xatata »

Hi, my name is Thais and I live in São Paulo, Brazil. I'm 31 and I want to run. I've tried a few times, but always gave up. So I am trying to do it again with Get Running and I am enjoying a lot! I have finished my 4th week this morning but I'll repeat it, because 1) I don't think last week was fine and 2) I don't feel prepared to week 5 - specially the 20 minutes run.

So, it's a pleasure to 'meet' you and have this place to share the tears and cheers!
bex17

Post by bex17 »

Hi Im Bex, Ive just signed up for the race for life after many years of saying Ill do it and then dont. Bad really. But I was diagnosed with skin cancer and have just had a small op to remove it so its upset my training a little but Im trying to get back on track with out over stretching myself as the op has knocked me for six a little.. Im really bad at running and thought (silly me) that because I go to a gym pretty regularly I d be able to run no problemo. HAHAHAHA how wrong was I!! Anyway Im repeating week 1 as have too longer break inbetween my op and everything. ;)