Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
AstroBoy

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by AstroBoy »

Hi. Warren from Canada here. I'm an astrophysicist working in a large international collaboration, and I work out of a university in the US, so I travel a lot. I used to be into karate in a big way when I was doing my Ph.D., and that kept me pretty fit. For the past 10 years, frequent travelling (around 100,000km of flying a year) and being a father of two small boys has really limited my ability to keep in shape, and I got to be about 30 kg overweight (I'm a big guy, but 30 kg is still a lot of extra weight to be carrying). I've been looking for a way to work out that doesn't require me to go to a gym or attend a class, because those things just don't fit into my schedule anymore. Running always seemed like the way to go, but I would quit after a couple of weeks in frustration - I just couldn't seem to progress on my own. C25K and "Get Running" are changing all that for me. I just finished week 5, and five weeks ago I would have had trouble believing that I would run 2.75km in 20 minutes without stopping (and probably could have gone another 5 minutes) before June was out. I get up 75 minutes before my family each weekday morning now. On Mon/Wed/Fri, I do C25K runs. On Tue/Thu/Sat, I do brisk (130-135 steps per minute) walks for 5.25 km. On Sundays, I give my body a rest. And I feel great. Mixed with better eating habits, it's helped me lose over 10 kg in the last two months (I started off just walking everyday, and got onto C25K after a few weeks), and got my resting heart rate down from almost 80 bpm to under 60 bpm.

Another thing that is really motivating me are my new fitness data devices - a Garmin Forerunner 305 and a scale that gives body fat %, H2O %, muscle mass and bone mass as well as weight. I track my data every day, and I can see trends in every number showing marked improvements (ok, well, not in bone mass and not much in muscle mass, but everything else). I always knew I was a numbers guy (you don't get a doctorate in physics if you're not), but I never realized how motivating it could be to collect data about my own progress like this. And I certainly never realized that running could be so great (especially the endorphin rush after you push yourself to a new level)! Cheers and happy running, everyone.
Hruns!

Post by Hruns! »

Hi I'm hellen, have just done week 7 run 2! Started just by walking back in march as was v overweight with high blood pressure and mental health problems. I have now lost almost 3 stone, bp v healthy and feeling great mentally too! I now have got decent shoes which have helped and run in local woods.
A year ago I had just had a blood transfusion due to blood loss from self harm and could hardly stand. Today I again ran for 25mins. Amazing!! This app is so great and have really benefited from Reading what others have posted, so have decided I will too!
Thanks!!
KmRyan

Post by KmRyan »

Hello from Colorado! I am a 45 year old female who has slowly gained 50 pounds sitting behind a desk and not doing anything else! I have not ran since Junior High, but ran across this app and it is the only thing that has motivated me for YEARS! Lost 10 pounds so far (started May 26) but most important I feel GREAT! I never thought I could be a runner. Have not missed one run yet, though I have repeated the weeks several time!! I am on week three and though I am still struggling I am excited about going longer!

Little scared about weeks 4 and 5...barely can go the 1.5 minutes, how am I ever going to run 5 and 8 minutes? Prayers and good thoughts are needed.

So that is my story, hope to run my 1st 5k on September 26, (http://www.thejusticerun.org/).

Best

Kristina
Sooh2010

Post by Sooh2010 »

Hello! I have just really enjoyed reading through all of these posts and have been inspired by all of the stories.

I'm Sue from the NW of England. I completed run 2, week 2 this morning and am really enjoying the programme. I remember reading about this app - or a similar one - in a magazine a few months ago so when my husband won an ipod touch a few weeks ago (and of course handed it over to me :lol: ) it was one of the first things I downloaded.

I go to the gym once a week (I pretend it's more but really it's about once a week). I use the treadmill, cross trainer, bike and wave machine. On the treadmill I walk on an incline on the treadmill for 24 minutes...with a four minute run in the middle which I have never managed to complete. I'm doing the programme outdoors though.

I want to get fitter and also lose some weight.
LoeRennt

Post by LoeRennt »

(and of course handed it over to me :lol: )
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well done!
And good luck with the running too of course! I'm sure you'll be able to complete the four minute run soon!
Likeacat

Post by Likeacat »

Hi, my name is Lisa and I am 48 years old, not overweight, but out of shape. I just completed my first run of week one. I made it fine in sunny, humid, 89 degree F weather! This app is just what I needed, thank you. Cues and encouragement along with my music. I will go back and read all of the intros. :D
Roldahayes

Post by Roldahayes »

Hi, my name is Darren and I have finally motivated myself to try this app and loose a bit of weight!
I'm actually very suprised that I have managed the first two runs! I stopped smoking in January from about 30 a day so even walking uphill used to be a struggle!

Hope to hear from a few of you on my website http://www.runrolferun.co.uk- where hopefully I can provide a bit of motivation to others! (as well as me!)

Cheers,

Darren

;)
Emmajane

Post by Emmajane »

Hi, my name is emma and I've just completed week 1 run 2 so I'm still a real newbie!
I am about a stone overweight and have never exercised, but I'm determined to shed a few pounds and get generally fitter from a health point of view (I'm 36).
Did run 1 Sunday and pretty much struggled to walk Monday!
However, muscles are feeling bit better today so did run 2.
Still found it hard but completed it as I can't let this beat me lol!
I have looked ahead at future weeks and just can not ever see me being able to run for more than 1 minute!
Has anyone else got some good news stories to share! I'd love to think I will be able to do this but at the moment, based on my current ability, I don't see I'll get there!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Emma – don't worry. It seems crazy, doesn't it, but you'll get there. Keep plugging away, and each week will have it's challenge, but the challenges will be something that you're ready for.

If you need to, remember that you can run a week more than three times.

:-) Keep going, and let us know how it goes!
mcl

Post by mcl »

High time for a proper introduction.

I hit 47 this year and have never been able to run. Swim yes, but run? Forget it. :lol:

But then I came across this app and since I (a) needed to get fit & de-stress and (b) lose weight I decided to give it a go.

Now I am on week 8 and actually enjoying it. Me? Liking to run? Yes I am a pod person... I am astonished I have got to this point. The programme that the app follows is excellent. I cant recommend it enough.

But who on earth is the announcer? I dont know whether to hate her, or love her! :P