Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
NervousNewbie

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by NervousNewbie »

orla wrote:Hi,

just completed run 1 of week 1. The shin splints kicked in after run 2 so I took to the grass which seemed to help. Nice to see I'm not the only mad runner in Hyde park before 7 am! I feel great now, full of energy.

Looking forward to rest until Thursday!
Orla
You're in very good company there Orla. When Bon Jovi had their residency at the O2 Jon would go running in the mornings in Hyde Park (I know this because I'm a Bon Jovi geek!)
aidscaz

Post by aidscaz »

Hi

Just finished week 2 run 3 last night. I'm doing each week twice as i had realy bad shin splints a few weeks back and have managed to keep them away with a few stretches. I got to week 3 run 1 before.

I'm determined to make it all the way through. :D
adamp377

Post by adamp377 »

Any words of advice for the shin splints, ive got a pair of brooks running shoes, switched from concrete sidewalk to asphalt (dont really have grass anywhere) took a week off, went out yesterday felt fine during the run but soon after my shins were sore like directly in the center of my shin on the top... I just hope its not a fracture( feels like some one kicked me directly in the shin bone)

Oh one more thing i did alot of research on the web about stretching your calves real well, i did that this afternoon and tried to take a couple strides and had the pain so i walked not sure if the stretches are gonna help me or not at this point
Jacqsee

Post by Jacqsee »

Hi Everyone,
Well, I bought this app 5 months ago. I just now started, tonight! I live in Michigan, and my sister said to me a month ago, "do you want to run in the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving?" I thought why not...well I am going to really do this. I went out and bought some shoes at Running Fit. I felt out of place. I almost didn't start but as I was setting up my playlist I just got up put on my new shoes and took off. I LOVE THIS APP!!! I really feel like I'm going to be able to do this!

Jacqsee
mercury

Post by mercury »

Hi everyone!

I just finished Week 1 Run 2, and so far, I'm pleased that the work-outs has been doable. Week 4 looks like the point when things will really get hard (especially since I developed mild asthma a couple of years back - damn you, burny lungs!)

I've always loved the freedom associated with running, and am really keen to get to a phase where I can go out for a decent amount of time and be able to glory in the pure, unadulterated sensation of running - without worrying that I'm going to keel over halfway.
nellysue

Post by nellysue »

Did my first run yesterday. The last time I ran was over 20 years ago, so was feeling apprehensive to say the least! At 54, two stone overweight and nursing a dodgy ankle, didn't think I would finish the first minute run. However, I'm chuffed to bits as I completed all 8 runs. It started raining half way through but i didn't give up, I ran under the trees (in my local park), it was great!! Can't wait for tomorrow's run. This is a great app. I love the way it talks you through the runs and keeps you motivated. I hope it does this all the way through. :D
seattlec2

Post by seattlec2 »

Hi,
I'm Carolyn, 48 yrs old, and about to head out for W5D3. I was an athlete in HS and college, and an on-and-off again jogger until about 10 years ago. A friend told me about the Couch to 5K program, and about Robert Ullrey's podcast (which I've been using up until now). Last night I installed the Get Running app (and went through the previous weeks and marked them as completed), and my running playlist is ready to go. I also do a lot of walking and hiking, and Bikram yoga.
I'm excited about my run today, I haven't run 20 minutes without stopping in a long time and am looking forward to how good I know the accomplishment will feel. My pace is slow, but steady!
Just wanted to say that without the podcast, or the app, I know it would've been very tricky to get the intervals right and to stay motivated to get out and stay on the program.
Thanks for the app, and thanks for this forum!
Carolyn in Seattle
sumph

Post by sumph »

Sandy from Michigan, USA. Very nice app and forum! Finished day 1 and felt like I was going to have to crawl - knees were killing me. My husband just ran a marathon and I have no idea how I'm going to run 5 minutes straight!! Nice support here!

Run on . .

Sandy
Feelo

Post by Feelo »

Hi there, I'm Fee and I'm from Brisbane, Australia. Just finished Week 3 of the C25K program and am really enjoying it. Before this I didn't do much exercise at all. I'm just wanting to keep fit.
Ellongirl

Post by Ellongirl »

Hi, im Anne I live in Aberdeenshire (scotland) and now starting week 5 of couch to 5k. I am really enjoying it and love the buzz after completing a run. The 5 min runs are a struggle i tend to manage just over 3 mins but I just reduce to a brusk walk.....but I never give up!! I was just wondering about diet.... any good plans people are following? Im trying to get rid of the wobbly bits!! Im also looking for advice for a light activity on rest days, power walking??

A wee bit about me, 41 yr old mum to a 10 year old, separated for a number of years, i work full time on social work and really enjoy my work. I would like to try and meet up with others to buddy up but perhaps after i have completed the programme. I look forward to meeting new people here and locally! Anne :D
I fogot to say this is an excellent app, i would not be running without it! Is there a 10k one ?