Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
kickboxerchick8

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by kickboxerchick8 »

Hi all!

I'm Amanda, and I just finished day 1 of Get Running. I've been hearing about the Couch to 5k program for a while, but I detest running with the fire-y passion of a thousand suns, so I put it off. I kickbox/MMA, but I wanted to finally try running for days when I can't spend an hour or more at the gym doing other things, and just as a supplement.

I am originally from NY, but I live in Southern California with my husband, a US Marine, our two dogs, and cat. I'm 23, and work as a lifeguard (which I'm dreading today, because it's raining). I love reading, writing, NOT arithmetic, cooking, and music.

Day 1 was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and is definitely motivating me to work out even harder! By the end, I was breathing hard, but still through my nose, and could have done a couple more runs. I'm just glad that after taking some time off from the gym after my husband came home from Afghanistan, I haven't lost too much.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone!
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

Hi everyone. I've been lurking since I started Get Running 3 weeks ago, and thought it was time to join in. I have to say reading about peoples experiences has really helped over the last 3 weeks, and I hope it continues to over the remaining 6 weeks!

Tomorrow marks the start of week 4 which I am a little nervous about, but I will get through it :shock:

Anyway, I also started a little blog to chart my weight loss and fitness drive - it's at http://runningsam.wordpress.com/. Hope it's of some use to people that are just beginning the programme and serves as a motivation to people just as others blogs and this forum are for me.
ontherun

Post by ontherun »

I'm Paul. 46 years old. Live in South West of Western Australia.
Just started week 3 of the Get Running app.
Determined to see this through.
So far so good. Losing a little weight. Gaining some much needed fitness.
Wish me luck.
Jimmyp40

Post by Jimmyp40 »

I've not run now for years but found this app brilliant - like the fact that you don't feel all alone whilst gasping for air and clutching your chest, just starting week 5 and it's feeling good.
coxy15

Post by coxy15 »

Hi All

I'm Rachel and live near Manchester.
So glad I found this App I have want to run for so long but kept telling myself I couldn't as i was so bad at it at school, I have 3 stone to loose and want to get fit to help me ride my horses better.
Just done first day today but didn't complete all runs but did try my best took my dogs with me too as one of them need to loose a few pounds too.....

Lovely to read all your fab story on here think I am really going to get there this time...... Any helpfull hints would be great

Take care everyone
Rach x
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Hi Rachel, (post above this one) and anyone else trying to lose weight.

I am trying to lose three stone too. I have found that mynetdiary is really good and letting everyone on facebook, twitter and here, of course, really motivates me to not give up. I am writing a blog and seeing on blogger stats the amount of people "checking in " on me is very motivating! Partly, because its almost embarrassing to give up so publicly :? and partly because I feel I have people on my side too. My dieting and fitness campaigns have always come and gone quietly without anyone noticing because I was scared of telling anyone and then failing, well now I have no choice. I have to keep at it until I get there!

Good luck with all your weight loss and fitness goals :D

http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com

Happy Running
Catherine xx
Starla9306

Namaste and hello! )0(

Post by Starla9306 »

My name is Sharla, and I haven't started yet. I probably won't post here much as I am quite involved with a "count calories" app that I have many friends on. I just wanted to post an intro that so far this app sounds really good and I will be learning (all over again) how to run like I used to.
I love to run, but life and children and extra weight grabbed hold, and I need to learn time management as well.
I will try to post small updates when I can if any are interested.
P.s.- love to make new friends, you may add me to socials just look for
Sharla Aughenbaugh.
Have a beautiful day!
Love & Light,
)0(
SA

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
"Don't sweat the small stuff!"
"Do not mess in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup!"
Lennonmacca67

Post by Lennonmacca67 »

Hello all, my name is Ian. I'm 25 and living In the mid west of Ireland. Fitness levels had gotten to a deplorable state as I work in a pub, so therefore I drink too much, smoke too much and definitely DON'T exercise too much. I saw this app on the store and just thought 'why not?' and have to say, as I'm drawing towards the end of week 2, I'm absolutely in love with this programme! I have a tendency to give things up pretty easily if they get too difficult but after (nearly!) completing week 2 and looking at the fantastic posts from fellow users on the forum, I know I'm not gonna give up this time. The tales of success and joy from other users are a real inspiration to me and I've never read such a positive forum! I'm starting to rant now but I just want to thank the creators of the app and the wonderful posters who are making this experience of finally getting to levels of fitness I have long wished to get back to a truly enjoyable one! Best of luck to you all, I wish you the very best.
Dawndee

Post by Dawndee »

Hello all! I'm Dawndee from Southern California. I am a massage therapist and mother to a 4 year old daughter. I have NEVER run in my life, in fact I despise sweating. I am 41 and have had pain in my lower back since high school and deal with fibromyalgia and hurt my foot a year ago. I used to swim and do yoga, but I haven't exercised for YEARS!!! I am at least 50 pounds overweight and I realize that exercise is the only way to get past my physical ailments. My physician tells me all my pain is weight related. So I have always wanted to run. It just looks so graceful and people that I k ow who run look so healthy and happy... I want that. I took my first run today and I feel wonderful. I think this get running app is awesome and will recommend it to all my friends!
urbanrunner

Post by urbanrunner »

Hello - I've just started Get Running and am on Week 2 run 2 and I'm still alive! In my head I am a 15 year old girl in the hockey team, doing gymnastics, playing tennis, cross country running - slim and active - now the reality, I am a 47 year old woman married with two children, 1 stone overweight and I couldn't (until last week) run to the end of the street. What happened?? Well what ever it was it's about to change thanks to this app. I have to say the beginning has been quite tough but I'm out there and I don't stop unless I'm told to, even when I look like a tomato! I'm looking forward to making it to the end and to getting back on the tennis court!