Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
britnilinda

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by britnilinda »

I am well,an alien here I just want to extend my appreciation to the ad min for accepting me here! Thanks guys.
Anyways, I'm looking forward for a new exciting and fun way to learn a thing or two. I hope you guys,would be kind enough to give and share. I also love running. Running keeps our body fit. That's all, may you all have a great day!
RunPono

Post by RunPono »

Hi folks...

My name is Layla and my husband Giles and I just finished W2 R1 this morning and we're feeling pretty good about this. We live in the Bay Area (San Francisco) and both have an on/off relationship with exercise. We've both struggled with our weight, but generally have been active even when we've carried a little extra. We both also know that if we don't exercise we're cranky and no good to our family (which includes 6 kids - we're a Brady Bunch).

We found that we were encouraging each other to fall into our bad coping techniques (eating, drinking too much, whinging) and that it was affecting our physical and emotional health, not to mention our capacity to deal with the kids in a calm and rational matter.

Previous to starting C25K we aimlessly messed around with getting back on the exercise horse - yoga once a week, half-heartedly lifting weights. But I knew it wasn't enough to kick us back into gear. We needed something aerobic and honestly a little challenging. Giles had done a few mini-tris many years ago, but that seemed too daunting for me. We also didn't have time to get back into surfing (our favorite sport, but it takes a lot of time and is weather dependent) so I settled on C25K. I have never been a successful runner but a 5K has to be doable, right? Anyway - I didn't pressure him to join me but I couldn't be more thrilled that he has.

Aside from some calf pain (clearly related to weakness, not injury) it's been going really well. Aerobically it's fine thus far - just want my body to get a little stronger.

We've signed up for a 5k in August - can't wait!
kev

Post by kev »

Hi everybody,
My name is kev, I’m almost 50 now (November) and looking to lose weight and keep fit, I do regular walks for 2 mile in the evenings with the dog and sometimes 8 to 10 milers with the wife up & down the dales weather permitted at weekends.
I am 5ft 8 and have recently let myself go a bit due to over eating and beer,
I currently weigh in at 13st 12lbs, I would like to get to around 11.5 stone and hold at that if possible.
After visiting my local up and running shop in Nottingham last year and getting myself some proper footwear, I managed to build myself up to 4 mile nonstop over a few months but kept getting tender shins if I touched them, but they didn’t hurt whilst running or walking, I did ice them after every run but they didn’t seem to heal before the next run so not sure what was going on or what to do about it I packed up running.
Now after finding and joining this forum I’m looking to start up again as soon as I have been to the shop for some more trainers, I would welcome any advice or criticism you guys could give me.
Thanks
kev
Snapzzz

Post by Snapzzz »

Hi All,

I'm new here.
I have, today, just completed week 6. I'm feeling more awake than i have in recent years, full of energy and i am sure its down to this app!
I've lost nearly 14lbs in the last 6 weeks so i am really pleased.

Jon
onemilemore

Re: Sticky: Introductions! no more pins

Post by onemilemore »

Alex here, just signed up.

I was at a competition last week, typical thing sunday morning, kitted up for a 10k vasaline to the ready...not again!!!!...I'd forgotten my damned safety pins.

Any way after asking a around in the car park, there was a guy who had just bought some eventclips never heard of them before, I can't thank him enough he gave me his spare set...they're brillliant, no holes, simple snap locks the bib number to your top, though I was a bit reticent they might rub but no...Thank you Brain love you

Got some my self now and cant sing there praises enough so simple...why has no one thought of them before.

Only £1.99 from eventclip.net

I don't know if you're aloud to put things like this up but but it's a new product that is very relevant to running just thought everyone should know.

I'd be interested to know what other think
Bushbasher

Post by Bushbasher »

Hi, I'm Lisa and I should be heading to the end of week 4... But I've gone back to redo the last week 3 run because it just got too much for me. I'm hindered by my location in the Australian bush with almost nothing like a smooth road, path, footpath or flat space. However, I've invested in some better shoes which are making a big difference when the ground is so uneven.

I've never been able to run without becoming immediately exhausted! I feel quite exhilarated to have come so far in such a short time. I do sometimes laugh to myself when I'm really struggling and the VoiceOver suggests that if you need to, you should slow down.....at these times I can't imagine actually going any slower without walking!

Like everyone else I feel I could use some company on this quest. Lisa x :D
narmour

Post by narmour »

Hi im neil and I live in bangor, county down in northern ireland. I started the programme after a lifetime of fooling myself that at 6 foot 3 and !@ stones I didnt have a runners physique. Then I discovered a friend who is the same height and build is training for the dublin marathon! If he can do it so can I. So I started the nhs c25k programme, have sailed through weeks 1-4 and started week 5 last night. I can honestly say I love it, but the best bit is discovering that I actually can do it. I'm doing a popular weight loss group also and have lost over 3 stones. I have an 8 month old daughter and my motivation is to stay alive for her. At my starting weight I probably had about ten years left before my first heart attack!
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

I decided to wait until week 5 to jump on the board. I did well the first 4 weeks...a little too well. I got up after w4 r2 and decided I needed to do even more. So I decided a nice walk would fill the off day. I went 4.5 - 4.8 mph which kicked in the shin splints. I spent the past week getting it under control. My left leg was the issue, the treatment I used was Alieve before running and a compression sleeve for my shin. With that, I got thru w5 r1 & 2. Yesterday was time for w5 r3, 20 min run. I have been dreading this since I started the program. When I got up it was pouring rain, more than I was willing to run. So I went to the gym and did the treadmill. Success! However, as far as I am concerned, it is not the real run. That comes tomorrow. I am so fired up. The hard numbers are 37.2 min best 5K so far, and a 25lbs (11.4 kilo) weight loss in the last 2.5 mos.

I started the program at 260 lbs (118k), just a week before my 49th birthday. If I can do it, you can too! Get good shoes!
missyf

Post by missyf »

Hi

My name is Marie and I'm 41, living in Cambridge. This is my second time with 'Get Running'. I successfully graduated a couple of years ago, promptly sprained my ankle and never ran again! I'm currently on week 3 - for the second time. I'm stressing about moving on to week 4 because 5 minutes running seems impossible. It's silly because I know it is absolutely possible...

I love the app, the only thing I would love would be more encouragement once the runs get longer. Even an 'opt in' for more messages would be great. I spend almost every second thinking she's going to say something soon and that will pass another few seconds! Last time I felt a bit lonely on the longer runs and desperately needed some encouragement. I wonder if the makers could add an option like this?

Marie x
Havana

Post by Havana »

Hi everyone! I'm Heleen, running in a village west of Amsterdam. I'm very lucky to have the beautiful countryside right in front of my door and I am so glad that I finally crossed that threshold to start running in it :)
What held me back was being overweight (some 20 kilos), being generally quite unfit and the embarassment of being seen puffing and panting by neighbours!! Lol! I know, it's ridiculous but true!
At 48 years I should know better, well anyway I did it and just finished week 6 run 1 this morning.
It is going well although I feel my knees, they have a hard time. Other muscle pain disappears in one day, as it should. I stick to the program religiously, running Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday at 6 am before work.
The posts on this forum have been a great motivation, and I wish everyone good luck!!!