Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
the_stickler

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by the_stickler »

Hi everyone, found this site via the app.

1st off I'm 29 and have no fitness whatsoever. Also the asthma doesn't help so much.

Well for the last 19 weeks iIve been dieting. So far I've lost 24 lbs and I decided about a 2 months ago to add some exercise. I've been using a rowing machine but thought something was missing. I started to walk on my lunch break at work (a 30 minute leisurely pace) and now think I' ready to get up to speed as it were. So here I am. and I hope to start week 1 either tomorrow morning (If I can manage to get up early enough) or Friday.

I look forward to getting to know my fellow runners. :D

Are there any walm up or stretching tips anyone can pass on?

Cheers

Twitter and blog links should appear below.
TwinMama

Post by TwinMama »

Hi all!

My name is Jess and I just started the C25K program this week (I completed run #2 yesterday). I am a mom of twin girls (8.5 months old) who will be accompanying me on every run in the double jogging stroller. I am really out of shape and have about 60lbs to lose to reach my goal weight so this first week has been quite a shock to my body. However, I am feeling pretty good about doing this and am determined to stay on track. I am blogging about my running/weight loss progress here - http://themightywoosh.blogspot.com/

I love the app and really appreciate the encouragement I get from the "Get Running" lady. I have tried to start a running program several times in the past but never managed to keep up with it because I tried to do too much too soon. That's why I love this app - it starts off slow and helps you build up your endurance gradually. Just what I need! At this point I still can't believe that I will ever be able to run for more than a minute at a time but I know that if I stick with it, I'll be running 5K by the end of the program. Can't wait!!
greenbrightly

Post by greenbrightly »

I'm Neil from Manchester. I’ve finished the program now and have been running for about a week for 30 minutes. I've been doing this to try and lose weight really, and I’ve done OK so far, I've lost about 2 stone (still need to lose about 3 :lol: comes off far too slowly).

So a bit of history if you’ll permit me to drone on. I've always liked the idea of running but whenever I've tried these couch to 5K programs in the past I've always given up; I just found the discipline too much, I either couldn't stick rigidly to the timing or I'd stop too early and keep walking for too long. If I'm brutally honest this has been going on for years now and I've never managed to properly integrate regular exercise into my life, I turned 34 in April and pretty much decided to start dieting to get my weight down to something approaching reasonable or face the consequences in later life. At first I lost a lot because you always do when you venture on a diet, but I knew if I was going to do this properly I'd have to exercise AS WELL as eating healthily (strange concept for me). I had a look on the App Store and found the Get Running app, after I read some of the reviews thought I'd give it a try. I'm SO glad I did. At first I could barely manage it, Week 1 looked impossible, after my first run every muscle in my body throbbed and ached, my lower back felt like it would never be quite the same again and good heavens the day after I was so stiff I had trouble lifting a cup of tea without trembling! I had the air of man diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder, but I thought hang on it's not going to kill you keep doing it, and don't stop, listen to the nice lady on the iPod and do what she says ;) and don't stop; that was very important to me, just keep going no matter how much you're telling yourself to stop and sit down. If you start cheating you’re only cheating yourself, if it’s too hard just slow down, even if people are overtaking you at the speed of a brisk stroll, I’ve been overtaken by elderly men with walking sticks before, don’t stop, keep going!

So the program itself? I had a couple of bad experiences of course, stitches, shin splints have been common, after I'd finished on one occasion my legs were so bad I gingerly treaded back home like John Wayne on egg shells. I think Week 5 also has that sudden 20 minute run with no stopping? When I saw that I thought there must be a problem with the app, how can it say run for 20 minutes solid? I had a look on this forum and found out it was part of the program which was a bit of a shock, I felt really nervous all week thinking about having to do the 20 minuter on Saturday, but when the day came I just paced myself and finished it, I must say I even had a little sprint at the end as well, to add insult to injury! I won't forget that moment, the sense of achievement for me was amazing, I’m still baffled now considering I'd never been able to run for longer than about 2 minutes, to think now I can run for 30 minutes? It beggars belief.

I'm not sure where to go after this, all I've ever wanted to achieve is to be able to run without stopping. Without Get Running I know I'd not have kept up the program so I have to thank you for creating it 8-) now I've got regular exercise as a part of my life, health permitting of course I've got some tools in place to help me build on it. Thanks for reading this and I hope if you’re in the middle of the program and think you won’t be able to manage let me say genuinely it if I can do it .... anyone can.
Eddie5290

Post by Eddie5290 »

Hi All,

my name is Edward, I'm 36 yrs old, from NYC (Queens) and just finished my first week of running, so far so good. I have flat feet, grew up as a big (fat) kid & slower than everyone. Hated running so much growing up. I always went to hide in the bathroom when they would announce racing durin gym. But now trying to get in shape and live healthy to enhance my life.

If there are any big and/or flat footed runners out there who can give any tips especially for shin splints would be appreciated.
scooty77

Post by scooty77 »

Hello all, I'm Beth from a small town in the great state of Tennessee. I'm out of shape and unhappy with my size 14 pants (the biggest size I've ever worn outside of pregnancy). I also want to give up my 7 a day smoking habit. I have always wanted to be a runner, but never motivated myself to do it. I did my first session this morning, and although I wanted to quit halfway through, I didn't! Yay me! 8-)
keeleyboo

Post by keeleyboo »

Hi, my name is Heather and I'm 41. I never thought I would become a runner....always a diehard walker. But after jogging/walking my first 5k this past weekend I decided to actually start training officially to RUN a 5k this year. My goal is weight loss and finally to get healthy after 41 years.

My route takes me thru my neighborhood which is out in the country in Wisconsin. We have a route that is 2.2 miles with a loop that is another .9 mile. I am able to bring my dog, a Welsh Springer Spaniel, with me and let her run. We have been walking 5-7 days each week - weather permitting since January 1st of this year. I figured since I'm already walking 3-4 miles each day doing a 5k should be easy. Hopefully with the Get Running program I will be able to RUN the 3-4 miles after 9 weeks.

keep running....Heather
HalfMast

Post by HalfMast »

Hi all!

So, it's fair to say that I USED to be a runner. I ran 5k's in High School for sport but moved on to other activities in college. About once year I resolve to start running again, but almost 15 years since my last 5k run and I'm still sitting on the sidelines. I generally take one run, maybe two, before falling into that pattern of never finding time and motivation. So, last week I came to my annual resolution, ran once and then starting searching for C25K apps. Today is Week 1, Run 3, and I'm more certain than ever that I'll keep it going this time! Hopefully I'll be able to join some of my college friends that have starting running 5k's, 10k's and Mini's!

One question I've got (I may repost on a seperate topic as well)... I live in Pittsburgh, PA in the states, which is a very hilly city. I've got a good flat 3/4 mile loop in a nearby park that I've started running on, but if I'm ever going to run an organized race in this city or want to see something other than the same man-made resevoir I'm running around, I'll need to start running hills. So my question is, do I start now and get used to them when I'm only running 1.5-2 miles at a time, wait a few weeks to get used to the running thing first, or wait to tackle the hills until after I'm already at 5k, after week 9. What do you think? Now, after a few weeks, or after the C25K program?

Thanks all and Happy Running!

Pete
Jussyw

Post by Jussyw »

Hi all. My name is justine and I have just completed my first run. I am so pleased with myself as I have never really been able to run very well. I get married in September so am hoping 2 be much fitter by then and hopefully have lost some weight! I am way 2 heavy so running is a struggle and my knees hurt at the moment but I am hoping that will improve. This app is really easy 2 use and I enjoyed my first run. I really want 2 be one of those people that get so much from running and with some practice and gentle persuasion I think I can be.
violabird

Post by violabird »

Hello all,

I'm Grace, I'm 28 and based in Hampshire (UK). I downloaded the get running app last night and got up at 6am to do the first run this morning!

I totally amazed myself, firstly for getting up at that time voluntarily (I'm a stay at home Mum and my husband works long hours so it's the only time I'll be able to run without dragging my two year old along with me!), secondly because I was going running for the first time since I was a teenager, and thirdly because I actually finished the whole session (and travelled a far greater distance than I would have done without it).

I've been buzzing all day, and am really hoping I can keep this enthusiasm going. I'm so excited I want to go out tomorrow too, but I'll do as I'm told and wait till weds!

Thanks for a fantastic app, it's step one on the road to maybe fulfilling a secret ambition to run the London Marathon one day, who knows!

If anyone has any tips on keeping the motivation going, I'd love to hear them, maybe I can find an online running buddy as I can't face running in front of anyone else just yet!
chidge

Post by chidge »

hi!
i'm corinne from dorset. been giving this a go for a few weeks really but because of work commitments wasn't very strict about keeping to the schedule. however have re-run the first couple of weeks and am now on week 3 and so far this time sticking to the programme!
surprised myself with week3 run1 yesterday and did better than i thought, my breathing still needs work but felt a lot better and i found the slightly longer run easier than the short ones!
main aim is to get fit really, lose some weight and like grace i also have an ambition to do the london marathon! my bro-in-law did it a couple of years ago and challenged me to do it before i'm 30!! (i'm 26 on sunday so got a few years to do it in!)

love the app!