Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Vanessa

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by Vanessa »

Morning all
I'm just starting week three and absolutely love this app. I've always wanted to run but never known how to progress sensibly. So far I'm doing ok. I'm running on a treadmill at present but will move out into the park once the weathers better and my stamina has improved.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

If you're at week three, then you're doing better than okay! Keep going like that :-)
**Nicola**

Post by **Nicola** »

Hi, I have just downloaded the app and must say I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I have done a few charity 5k events before but never actually managed to run the entire way nonstop. Despite this I've set myself a challenge and signed up to do the British 10k around London in July, thankfully this gives me a bit of time to get training. I go to the gym and am able to cycle or use the cross trainer for extended periods of time but find running really difficult, I'm hoping this app gives me that help I need to finally get into it. Any advice is greatly received! :)
Fibee

Post by Fibee »

Hi, my name is Fiona and I am currently on week 6 of Get Running. I am running on a treadmill in the gym at the moment as it's usually dark by the time I get home (I live in the Midlands) so don't want to run on my own in the dark. I have been a runner on and off for years and I am using the program to start going again. I think the program is great and very motivating. I have signed up for a 10k in June, is there any plans to do a 5k to 10k plan? It would be wonderful if there was another app that took you the next step after 5k.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

That's fantastic Nicola. Thanks for the 10K suggestion, I'm based in London, and I could do with something to train towards.

My advice would be to try not to rush through, and take the program at the suggested pace. I suppose there is a danger there that you might find it too easy though, as you have done some running before, which could be a turn off too! Have a read of this very good article that describes the philosophy behind the Couch to 5K plan that Get Running uses. It's by the guy that developed it in the first place, so he knows what he's talking about :-) He talks a bit about software engineering at the start, so you could skip that bit!

http://globalmoxie.com/blog/c25k.shtml

I'd also suggest that you could mix in some outdoor running with your cross trainer and treadmill sessions. It is mostly pretty gloomy out there at the moment, but there are odd days of sunshine! Running outdoor is quit a bit more demanding that in the gym, so that might help to keep you challenged too!

Please come back and let us know how it goes for you! All the best.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Fiona,

It's fantastic you've got to week 6 – very well done!

It's great to know Get Running is working well for you. I'm certainly thinking about extending the application, and a 10K plan would be one sensible direction. It'll probably not be ready in time for your needs though :-}

My friend Matt blogged about starting to run with Get Running, and he's running 10K quite frequently now, so you could take a look in there. I'll ask him if he can also write a reply to you – I expect he'll start a new topic for it in the Graduate forum. Here's his blog (I'm pointing you to December last year where he's just finished Get Running):

http://mattgetsrunning.com/2009/10/

You could also start a new discussion in the "Graduate" forum yourself. Ask other users how they're planning to continue.

All the best!
roncg41677

Post by roncg41677 »

Thanks benjohn! It makes sense to not add the gps. I do love the simplicity of the app, and would hate to see that change. In all likelihood when I complete the program I'll just start using another app to track my distance/speed.

On another note, the dr. said I have capsulitis, which is an inflamed tendon on the top of my foot near the ankle. No running for 2 weeks :cry: .
Li li

Post by Li li »

Hello everyone!

im loving the get running app. I've never been able to run although have kept quite fit up until 4 yrs ago when a rare illness caused paralysis in left leg from knee down. Have worked hard to walk again and now am so determined to run and beat my demons- this app has been perfect!
My leg is holding out well- am just starting week 5 but have needed to change my foot strike due to over pronation caused by the weakness in my leg so have repeated some of the weeks. All is going well and I find the voice overs really spur me on.

Cant wait till i complete it!!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Li,

it's wonderful news that you're overcoming your disability, and I'm very happy that Get Running is helping you – thank you for coming here and letting everyone know!

You, and everyone else, should certainly not worry about repeating a week – I've not had any diseases that have effected me like you (neither, rare ones or usual ones), but I did extra sessions for some weeks to make sure I was ready to move on. Slow and steady wins the race, as the expression goes :-)

Keep up the great work!
Green chic

Post by Green chic »

Very excited to find a running app that will coach me through the difficult beginnings. Have read about the couch to 5 k program many times here in Australia but have failed in my attempts due to poor guesswork and cheating myself with times. My father has always been a runner and I have often wished I had his ability. At nearly 70 he still runs for up to an hour every day. I have always had staying power in a step class at the gym but struggled with independant excercise. After a 6 month absence from the gym due to work commitments I am desperate to find a fitness routine that fits with my lifestyle. I am feeling pretty confident this will be the right road to follow.