Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
JMack

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by JMack »

Hi all - I'm Jo; I've had this app idling in my phone now for months and just got signed off work for a few weeks, thought I'd make use of it!

I love the flexibility of it. It doesn't judge; the app doesn't care whether or not I'm wearing the latest high-tech gear, or if I shaved my legs! It just wants me to make it, we've got the same goal. I'm at the very early stages and have (shall we say) adjusted things slightly...just to lower the gradient somewhat, I hadn't even run for a bus in a year, but I can already feel that smug sense of accomplishment and I love it!

I'm blogging my entire process and would love it if you could follow me there too... http://writehere.com/post/140831-14/gir ... t-shifting
Truebrit

Post by Truebrit »

Hi, Jo! I loved your blog! :D

I'm a 53 year old mother of five and grandmother of 1. In mid-July, I found out I had high cholesterol and decided to kick my butt into gear. I started briskly walking 6 miles every couple of days with my hubby, and eating heart-healthy foods. I went for my 7 week follow up bloodwork last week, and my total cholesterol had gone from 293 down to 207, so I'm doing something right! My hubby David is a runner and I started to research the best Couch to 5K app, and decided on this one! Why? Not just because of the good reviews, but because I'm a British expat, living in the USA! Hearing that soothing, encouraging English accent helps me to feel a bit closer to home. I just completed W1 R3 and I'm feeling pretty good. I do get tired during the runs, and I'm worrying a bit about how I'll do during the start of W2 with the longer runs. I guess I'll be finding out on Saturday! Wishing everyone all the best!
zumumma

Post by zumumma »

Hello,

I am now registering after completing Week 2 Run 2. I have absolutely NO history of running and I could only just do the 1 minute runs in week 1! Anyway I am trying not to look too far ahead, I just hope that I'm going to be able to do a 3 minute run when the time comes :) The hardest part I'm finding is the feeling of my body being so heavy.

I am 43 and live in Perth, Australia.

Nicola
Truebrit

Post by Truebrit »

Hi, Nicola!

I completed Week 2 Run 3 yesterday, so we're at about the same place in the program. I didn't think I'd be able to manage it, but it has been easier than I expected to go from running 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes. Still, I do get tired, and like you, I get a sensation of 'heaviness' plodding along the trail! I'm feeling really nervous about running 3 minutes during the next run on Thursday. We can do it! :)
alice92

Post by alice92 »

Already had the app some time and am already on week 6, but just signed up for the website so thought I would say hi.

Before this app, I couldn't even run 1 min without getting out of breath, now I can run 20 mins. Good improvement!!!

To all you guys above who are just starting, or are in the early weeks. Keep with it. What may seem hard now, will seem easy in a few weeks time. Good luck and have faith in your running ability.
Kmax15

Post by Kmax15 »

Hi everyone :)

Iv'e realised that i'm 38 years old and don't do any exercise! I'm quite active in day to day life generally with school runs and work but no actual dedicated exercise time.

My hubby is a runner and he completed the London Half Marathon in October. It was so inspiring watching all the runners go past and cheering them on.

Last Saturday I decided to start the app and so I brought myself some new trainers. As soon as I got back from town I headed out. I enjoyed the session and managed to do all the runs.

I went again on Monday for the 2nd run and managed to get a blister! I am looking forward to tonights run and will have completed a whole week of runs.

Good luck everyone ;)
S@M

Post by S@M »

Hi, I'm S@M
I live near Rotterdam @theNetherlands. I'm married and have 2 grown ups, 1 Son still living here. I turned 50 last year August. I want to loose at least 13 kg. Thats where my BMI reaches 25.
I've Starting 5K runs About 4 times, never got beyond that 3 min-runningpoint.. But whit you're app I'm running Week5 day 1 today! Powerrrr :) and so proud of my self!!!
I run outside in the 'polder'
WKT2015

Post by WKT2015 »

Hello, I'm Kevin.

I'm a police officer in Arkansas, and a few years ago my employer instituted some basic physical guidelines on which we are tested yearly. If we don't meet the minimum guidelines, we have to retest at six-month intervals. I was able to pass the first test, but the running parts have been a problem for me ever since.

A mile-and-a-half in seventeen minutes seems pretty easy, but when you're pushing 50 and haven't done much in the way of exercise in a long time, it seems like quite a hurdle, and the hurdle gets a little higher every year. After this last round, during which the 1 1/2 mile run was the only part in which I didn't pass, I decided to get busy and do what I need to in order to pass these tests every year from now on.

My doctor told me about the app, and yesterday I finished week #1. I'll have to say it was pretty easy, but looking ahead to the upcoming weeks, it's going to be more of a challenge. I have eight more weeks of runs to make, and fortunately I have eight weeks until the next test, so the timing is good. I actually think I can get to the gold standard that has been set, 1 1/2 miles in just under 14 minutes. That's my goal anyway, no reason for me not to achieve it.

P.S. - My wife exercises daily, but only walking for about an hour. I showed her the app on my phone, and she wanted it for her phone as well. She started Saturday on week #1, run #1, and she told me she loves it. I'm also planning on telling my co-workers about the app as well. :)
victoriaharris

Post by victoriaharris »

Hi. My name is Vicky and i live in Southampton, UK. I have just downloaded the app and joined this forum.
I am 47 and need to lose 30Ibs. I have tried to run for 1 minute in the past and really struggled. I am hoping this time I will be ok and finish the 9 weeks. I have read all the advice and I am starting tomorrow. I am very nervous and really want to succeed. I will let you know how I get on.
nuttygirly

Post by nuttygirly »

Hello,
I'm Lorena from Dallas, Texas area and I started day #1 today! I love the ease and layout of this app more than many others that I've tried in the past. I'm confident that I'll be successful if I just stick to it :)

Happy Running!