Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
SteaIthg

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by SteaIthg »

Hi guys my name is Geramy and I am already at week6 run 1 of the program. The lat run I did was 2 days ago which was week5 run 3 which was 20 minutes running with no walking! At first I was really scared and hesitant to do the run because I didn't know if I can run straight with no breaks. I did it, wasn't easy but I felt great after the run. I have never been a fan of running but I think that this program is great when thinking of running.
matt

Post by matt »

Green chic wrote:After a 6 month absence from the gym due to work commitments I am desperate to find a fitness routine that fits with my lifestyle. I am feeling pretty confident this will be the right road to follow.
Hi Green chic!

Welcome to Get Running! I know bit about how you feel -- after I had to stop doing karate, it took me ages to find something else that would get me back into the habit of exercise. It's quite a horrible feeling, knowing you should be exercising but not doing it!

I found the Couch to 5K program really worked well for me. Some days it was easy, some days it was hard, but I always got there in the end :) And now I'm entered for my first 10K race!

Good luck!

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
matt

Post by matt »

Hi Geramy!

Well done on getting through Week 5! As I said in the other topic about it, Week 5 is a real turning point in Get Running -- you should do really well with the rest of the program now you're through it!

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
helenmac

Post by helenmac »

Hi,

Well my name is Helen, I am 33 and in the UK. I decided that 2010 was going to be the year that I got fit since I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 2008. I am hoping that by getting fit and looking after myself better I can cope with this disease and hopefully not let it affect my life as much as it has done the last couple of years......thats the plan anyway!!!

I got an ipod touch for Christmas off my lovely hubby and found the get running app. I am now just about to start week 6 and am really really really enjoying it. I find I have loads of more energy now, my skin is looking better from all the fresh air and deep breathing when running and I am toning up. It is great to realise you can set your mind to something and actually achieve it. There is nothing better than when the lady tells you that you have completed that days run and you know you gave it 100%.

I love the app and want to say "thank you" for making it so accessible and easy to use. I am wondering what is next after I have completed all the runs so any suggestions would be great. I am not entered into any races as I am just doing this for myself but who knows what the future holds. I would never of dreamed of doing a race this time last year ;-)

Thanks again and stay healthy everyone!
Hx
Mick

Post by Mick »

Hi all my name is Mick I'm from the north east of England I've just finshed my first week with get running and I've found it great I wanted to loose some weight and so I tried the app it's got me running again after some twenty odd years.I intend to stick to the programe and who knows I might enter a 5K thanks guys for the motivation

Mick
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

It's really great to hear all of the stories out there. I was so convinced that I would find it hard but it's brilliant. I can't believe how my mood has lifted and I am only on my third run!!! I had to disrupt my first week as I was unable to run for two days after the second run - I had really really early starts and late finishes and i travel two hours each way to work so getting up earlier just wasn't and option). I was going to repeat the week one but I ran again today and really feel ready to move on. I just can't tell you how amazed I am.... I have never been into running - at school i was good at field events just so i didn't have to run, and if we played hockey - i used to be keeper so I was padding up while the others ran around the field!!! Anyway, I have been going on about it so much - i even motivated a friend to start today!!!
SuzyFu

Post by SuzyFu »

How do,

I'm Suzanne living in Herts, UK and wanted a different way of keeping fit after swimming on and off for a few years. Reason I fancied a change is to save money and running is so versatile (anytime, anywhere, anyplace just like the martini ad says ;).
Although i'm youngish at 28 and not doing too bad for it, I am a little overweight and wanted to tone up.

Swimming was great for this but wanted to run instead. So started by buying a decent pair of asics trainers (only £25) and running kit and they have been my best investment to date, apart from my iphone and this app!
I began running back in October using no programme, just went out and jogged for a bit with no real focus or structure. Did this for a few months until I saw the light and purchased this app in Jan, what a difference it has made to my runs and to my mental focus. I also started doing yoga and have really started to notice my muscles toning up yay!
Drinking green tea and plenty of water helps too :D
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

hello everyone! im Trisha!! just started using the Get Running app today!!! (probably not the best idea to start today since i worked on legs at the gym last night!!)

My current exercise routine consists of the gym 3x per week, mainly doing 20-30 mins of interval training on either bike, stepper or cross trainer and then weights 3x per week too. I used to be majorly into cycling and trying to get back into that!! About twice a month i going swimming too, but wanted to get into running as its not something i have to go to the gym for and its nice to be outdoors!!

Think i started the gym routine in about April 2006 and then i weighed in at 210lbs/15st/dress size approaching 18! eek! I had got down to 140lbs/10st/size 12-14, but its since crept back to 166lbs/11st10lb/size 14.

so im hoping to get back on track!!! i'm also following the Paul Mckenna "I Can Make You Thin" concept! Any of you who are familiar with it will know its not a diet but about retraining your mindset about food!!

Anyhow, i think thats enough about me! It's great to be able to come on here and see how everyone else is getting on with their running! I think its a fabulous app! xx

Much love xxx
"in the end it all comes down to one word - grace - it's how you accept winning and losing, good luck and bad luck, the darkness and light"
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Thanks very much for your introductions. It's wonderful to get all your enthusiasm and energy coming over in your writing! If you're putting that in to your running too, then you're definitely going to achieve what you want to achieve with running, exercise and health, and feeling good!

Happy running, and see you on the forum soon,
Benjohn
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

Just started week 4. Put myself on a restricted calorie diet and have lost 15 pounds since I started the program! The running is very important, can't let my body cannibalize my muscles! Cannibalize the fat!