Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Carlosrunner

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by Carlosrunner »

Hi guys!
My name is Carl and I live in sunny Nottingham. After turning 30 I decided to take up running as I had never been good at anything other that 100 meter sprinting at school (LONG time ago XD )
Also I run a bar which means my days off are erratic and when I have time off most gyms are closed.
So as I speak now, I'm on week 4 of the Get Running programme and as long as my left knee and my habit of shallow breathing don't scupper my plans, I am really looking forward to running for 30 mins for the first time ever!
Great app guys
Carl
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hey Carl - I would keep my eyes open for a branch of The Gym - they seem to be catching on in a lot of places and are dirst cheap, no joining or membership fee or monthly contract.... and open 24 hrs!!! I am awating the opening of the Brighton one.....such a good idea..... :) Hope your knee does hold out :) http://www.thegymgroup.com/contact-the-gym.asp
Aimz82

Post by Aimz82 »

Hi, my names Amy and I'm from Hampshire. I keep trying to get myself back into running, last a couple of sessions then give up! I got the couch to 10k app as i signed up for 10 k race for life in June, but i find the walk sections too long and I was getting bored. I'm hoping that the shorter rest periods and shorter overall session times will help keep me going and get me into someone who can run!

Anyone experience a pain in the knee (front, outside, under the kneecap) and have any advice? I've always got a pain there when I've tried to run. It's not so bad when I actually run but the next day it hurts. Hope there is something I can do to stop this?

Looking forward to starting this programme on Thursday night!

Aimz :-)
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Amy, glad you're giving it a try again!

There's a forum thread here on knee pain where I've given a bit of advice, which is mostly, ask someone who knows and listen to your body.

All the best!
Jimthegaff

Post by Jimthegaff »

Hi I'm jim 42 years old from Gloucester UK.I have done little or no exercise since leaving school,started walking about 3 miles three times a week before using this ap. Just finished run 1, week 2, and I am enjoying it never felt better thanks all. :)
Kaatje

Post by Kaatje »

Hello everyone! My name is Karin i'm 24 and i live in Almelo in the Netherlands. Today i completed week 1 which is more running then i've ever done yay! And i did it with minimum muscle pain so i'm happy i bought running shoes and hopeful i'll complete the whole program. The Nice lady really helped me through it and really love her! Without it i probably would've been scared right back on the couch haha. I danced classical ballet for 13 years but i haven't been working out for five years... I always wanted to start dancing again but i moved around so much i could never commit myself for à year of balletclasses. But running you can do anywhere!

But i'm à little worried about my 'bendiness' ( xscuse my english) i heard running doesn't go so well with ballet ( yeah i really do wanna start that again when i settle somewhere permanent) is this true? I heard it had something to do with the muscle in your upperleg getting shorter?

Anyway thnx for the great app!!
MissCassandra

Post by MissCassandra »

Hi I am Cassandra from Australia. I've just started
running and really enjoyed the assistance of this
app. I Have initially been running around an oval
however I think I will need to find a new place
to keep it interesting. I was wondering were other
people jog and how they keep it interesting. I would
like to jog along the beach one day soon.
Luckycheeks

Post by Luckycheeks »

Hi everyone! My name is Sara. I live in Texas and currently in dental hygiene school. 2 years ago when school first started I was about 15 lbs lighter. With graduation coming up I'm hoping I will have much more 'free' time and slot less stress. I've never liked running but know that it's a fast effective way to shed pounds and get in better shape. Not to mention the feeling better and more energy! I'm 35 now so m metabolism is def not what it used to be. I'm really hoping this is gonna be an effective tool for me. Oh! I'm about to be single again after 6 yrs...so yea, I wanna be more fit! Any pointers? I walk on the treadmill at the gym and find that my shins and the balls of my feet( under big toe) get really sore. Is it my shoes? I love the fact that there is a forum with this app! Nice work!
AdamK

Just finshed week 1!

Post by AdamK »

Hello everyone,
my name is Adam and I am pretty new to running and brand new to 'Get Running!'

I just finished week one and am loving it so far. I'm sure that the easiest part is behind me
but I am dedicated to finish strong.

My situation is quite rare for what I am doing after just starting and just
thought I would share it with everyone and hopefully have some encouragement.
I currently live is sunny Jacksonville, Florida where I have lived most of my life,
but this summer I will me moving 5000 miles away to Alaska!! I will only be
there for 5 months but it's a pretty big change after being used to flat, sunny
days.

My concerns are going from running flat land to the hills of alaska!
Anyone have tips or hints?

I decided to get running because my ultimate goal after 5 months is to
join the Army and fulfill a desire I've always had. So wish me luck and I will
be posting updates every week until I finish.

Thanks for reading! God bless
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Adam,

I've not had to cope with big hills, but on gentle slopes I recommend slowing down a little and taking smaller steps. Up hill running is supposed to be very good training though! On the way down the other side, try not to get excited and run down quickly! Apparently running down hills can be damaging to your legs.

There must be _some_ bits of Alaska that don't have big hills? :-) You could look at the "terrain" on google maps for the place where you'll be living. It lets you see the heights of hills, so maybe you'll find some easier slopes near to your new house!

Enjoy that wonderful wilderness, and great luck with your ambition – just keep on doing your runs and you'll get yourself in to a great place.

Happy Running,
Benjohn