Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
NikkiNewy

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by NikkiNewy »

Hi all,

I started Get Running in March but have only just joined the forums because I've found reading other people's stories to be a huge motivation so I thought I should share mine too.

I'm 29, originally from Manchester, now living in Newcastle NSW. Lifelong exercise-avoider, food-lover and general lardass. This year I've made a commitment to be more healthy, and Get Running has so far been invaluable in helping me to stay on track.

I'll post more in a separate thread so as to not clog up this one.

Cheers,
Nikki
louloubelle

Post by louloubelle »

Hey I'm Louise, I'm 31 (for about another 2 weeks) and I'm living in Dublin.

I love this app but have signed up to the forums as I'm starting to doubt my own ability! I started W4 R1 today and that 5 mins really pushed me! I did it but I was ready to choke when I finished. I'm really starting to wonder how it's possible for me to manage 20 mins in just over a week!

Hope I can get some encouragement on here :)
KindOfMagic

Post by KindOfMagic »

Hi fellow runners, my name is Alice and I've been running with this app now for a few months.
I have finished week 9 and keep repeating it now every time I go running, and have hit 5.5K. My aim is to run 10K by next year.
I was a proper couch potato so if I can do it anyone can!
Hope to chat to some nice fellow runners and maybe get some advise on the next stage of my journey!
alienstwin

Post by alienstwin »

Hey all! I've been trying to run this app for about 2 years. Had to stop last time when I twisted my ankle very badly and had to wear a boot. This time I'm gonna finish! Up to week 3 and training to run my first 'real' 5k with my twin (who is very fit!)
marwoo

Post by marwoo »

Hi Everyone,

Just downloaded the app and will be doing my 1st run in the gym tomorrow morning! I gave up smoking in January of this year and decided i would get fit, i joined the gym at beginning of April and love it but i want to run and this app looked the best for my age and my fitness level. anyway will post back on tomorrow and let you all know how i got on. till tomorrow bye Mary
witchywitch

Post by witchywitch »

I'm Dee, I'm 32 and I'm at least 4 stones overweight. I'm due to do W3R3 tomorrow and I'm determined to get to the end of this app. So far I'm really impressed with it.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi my name is Sarah. I started yesterday NZ time. I thought that it would be a little challenging, which it was, but I found that it gave me a great buzz afterwards. I hope to get it done in the next 9 weeks. I have two awesome goals I want to do this year, a 21 day camp with Outward bound in anakiwa and a marathon. if it is longer that is fine but I want it done in the 9 weeks. :D
CaliGirlinSC

Post by CaliGirlinSC »

Hi everyone! I just thought I'd drop by and say hello. My name is Nichole. I'm extremely new to this whole site and running thing. I completed day one of the C25K thing today. I'm a proud military wife and we are currently stationed in South Carolina. Proud mommy of 4 bio kids and 2 stepkids. Looking forward to getting more familiar with everyone and having an awesome support group to turn to when I need a swift kick in my rear end. :)
Biscuit-Breath

Post by Biscuit-Breath »

Hi!

I'm Tina, from North East England, (Darlington) and I am on week 2!

I have had to have a 4 day 'rest' between run 2 and 3, so am starting run 2 again tomorrow.

Love the app xxx. My motivation for running is to lose then maintain a healthy weight, while getting fitter. I have never run before!!
I am 50 years old.

Love the forum!!!
GoMazzie

Post by GoMazzie »

Hi All,
I just wanted to join in on the action so that I can continue to motivate and go through this program. I have always answered the question of, " do you want to join me for a run?" with, "i don't run" or "I hate running I am more of a cyclist"
but i have decided to challenge myself to learn to run and have been looking everywhere for a training group in order to just start from scratch and work my way through to a 5k.

I found this app and I love it. I have only gone out on two run/walks since I am in the first week but I am hopeful that if i just put one foot in front of the other eventually this app will change my perception of running. For me it seems to be my brain that gives up before my body has even gotten tired. What is great about the app is that it tells you you have 30 seconds left...10 seconds left and counting and that just discourages me from letting my brain take over and say STOP!!

I have loved these two outings that i have gone on with the app but still have a hard time believing that i will be able to do a full half hour of running, let alone a 5k but i figured I will just go with it and see what happens. Of course i have niggling doubts that say what if this training program doesn't work for me?

I am looking forward to saying that I am a runner and being able to say "YES" to the question of whether i want to join for a run!

It also helps to get some new running shoes....my new shoes make me so happy that I just want to go out on a run so I can wear them!

Here's to running! Never thought I would ever say that. :shock: