Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Hruns!

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by Hruns! »

Emmajane wrote: Has anyone else got some good news stories to share! I'd love to think I will be able to do this but at the moment, based on my current ability, I don't see I'll get there!
Hi Emma, just to let you know that running just 60 secs at the start had me on the point of collapse! But the program really does work!! Just listen to your body and take as much time as you need to get there x
Nikkylee

Post by Nikkylee »

Hello All! :)

I just downloaded the app and did the first training run last night (and did MUCH better then I expected and WAY better then hubby expected!!).

After hitting the age of 30 this year and having my 2nd child I realized the probablity of me going to the gym anytime soon would be a long shot. Hubby's schedule is not conducive to leaving the children with him to hit the gym, and I'm not a big fan of the childcare being offered at most gyms (let alone the one I have access to). I needed something that is easy to do, (relatively) cheap, and if push comes to shove something I can do with my children (ages 2 & 6weeks).

So if you don't mind my joining the forum despite living "across the pond" :) Here's a big Hello!

Nikky
adamp377

Post by adamp377 »

Hi my name is Adam

I completed this morning Week 2, Run 1

I always dreaded the thought of running but now having a honey moon to slim down for in the end of August, I figured it was time to start shedding some lbs.

I have been getting shin splints, today being the worse by far. I am currently running on a concrete sidewalk but after doing some research on the web I have found that running on asphalt maybe the way to go...

Needless to say I will give it a try as I am actually starting to get excited and look forward to the next day that I run and hopefully the switch will make it that much more enjoyable... I will run again on Saturday and will try to update on Monday my findings.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Have you got a recent pair of shoes that suit your gait, Adam? Worth checking that out. If you can, grass is great to run on. Also worth avoiding running down hill. Well done, and keep it up, but don't run through pain, you can really set yourself back!
adamp377

Post by adamp377 »

Yep i got fitted before i started week 1
Learningtorun

Post by Learningtorun »

Hi all,

I'm Annie, 26, and I come from hot and humid South Florida! I started this program last month and am currently in the middle of week six.

Like so many others here, I always thought that running was something that other people could do, but that I couldn't. The c25k program and this app have made such a difference for me. It's so exhilarating to see the progress I'm making!

It's also been such a source of encouragement to read all the posts here, and to know I'm not the only one having good days and bad days and everything in between. So thanks for sharing your thoughts!
adamp377

Post by adamp377 »

Update:

So I went out saturday morning for my run but unfortunately my shins just hurt to much, so I took the advice I had gotten here and took it easy all weekend.

I am hoping to get back out there this evening after work or tomorrow morning at the latest.

Hopefully a weekend off has given my legs plenty of time to recover
orla

Post by orla »

Hi,

Since moving to London I've not joined a gym. I really want to try running but have always been plagued by shin splints. Hoping that starting off slow with this program might help. Starting week 1 tomorrow morning

fingers crossed!
Orla :-)
RonBen427

Post by RonBen427 »

This is Ron (42) and Ben (7) from Los Angeles. We did our first run tonight, just finished minutes ago, in fact. I used to run quite a bit, but haven't for a couple years and really miss it. Thought this was great way to get back into it and so it with my son. We both did fine tonight...Ben needed a little encouraging but did great. We'll now see what Wednesday brings.
orla

Post by orla »

Hi,

just completed run 1 of week 1. The shin splints kicked in after run 2 so I took to the grass which seemed to help. Nice to see I'm not the only mad runner in Hyde park before 7 am! I feel great now, full of energy.

Looking forward to rest until Thursday!
Orla