Completed a 5k Race Before Finishing the App

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Stephlperry76

Completed a 5k Race Before Finishing the App

Post by Stephlperry76 »

Hi Everyone!
I just finished week 6 run 3 today! One of these reasons why I wanted to use the app was to be able to run a full 5k race. I had signed up for one on February 18th and even though I know I wasn't going to be done with this app, I figured it could help!

Well I did the 5k on February 18th as planned. This wasn't my first one. I did my first one in November. I walked the whole thing and finished in 56:17. After that 5k, I was sore for 3 straight days. I was sore from my lower back, hamstrings, quads, calves, and down to my shins. But nonetheless, I finished. Hey I'm 238 pounds... the fact I finished was big for me!

This past Saturday for my 5k, I turned on Miss Claire and used her during my 5k. I'm pleased that I jogged 2 x 10 minutes plus another 5-10 of it. My time was 53:07. I know I could've walked it faster and got a better time, but that wasn't my goal. It was to be able to run it, so I did. Let me just say that it is 2 days later, I have NO soreness. I had a bit of calve soreness, but that was it!! I went out for my 25 minute jog today and it went great.

While my pace isn't fast and my overall time didn't get dramatically better, my body feels sooo much better. I know, thanks to this app, that I will eventually lower my time. I'm so pleased right now with myself!
JoelGwood

Re: Completed a 5k Race Before Finishing the App

Post by JoelGwood »

Woohoo! This is so awesome, Steph! Now you have a running time to improve on in the future, something that will only spur you on toward greater goals! Can't wait to see how much you improve!
SkiPixie

Post by SkiPixie »

Fantastic Steph! That took real courage to enter the 5k, congratulations to you and as Joel says, you've always got a benchmark now for the rest of your running career! :D
Run Baby, Run Baby, Run Baby, Run
matt

Post by matt »

Well done! Glad to hear it worked well for you :D
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Rfiveh2003

Post by Rfiveh2003 »

That is great inspiration to me, someone who just finished week1 run 1! Looking forward to my first 5k.