Trying to get started

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
AngusOnTheRun

Trying to get started

Post by AngusOnTheRun »

Hi guys,

I got the app a couple of days ago and had a crack at W1 R1 on Tuesday. I didn't finish it all, got through the first 4 1 minute runs then walked through the next 2 then did 1 more before finishing so overall I managed 5/8.

I'm 6ft tall and 21 and a half stone (300lbs/135kg) and have been pretty inactive for sometime so I'm quite happy with what I managed, going to have another go tomorrow, will let you know how I get on!

Glen
Elizabeth2012

Re: Trying to get started

Post by Elizabeth2012 »

Well done for making a start! The first couple of weeks are the hardest and the biggest leap if you're going from doing no exercise at all. You will get through it though...you'll probably feel loads better after your next go!
Shuffler

Post by Shuffler »

Well done indeed! I couldn't complete a single one minute run when I first started, but I've now done two 3 minute runs on two occasions. It really does get easier.
AngusOnTheRun

Post by AngusOnTheRun »

I went out again today and again didnt finish, I didn't even get quite as far either only managing 3 runs before I experienced shortage of breath and quite a bit of pain in my outer calf on the left, I have an issue with my achilles tendon on that side so I'm hoping that its something that will pass as opposed to something that will continue to affect me.

Will be back out on Saturday though!

Having said all that I was still out there for the 30 minutes walking when not running so I still derived some benefit, I think that this time my pace was a bit higher too which may have contributed to my failure haha!
SSMRuns

Post by SSMRuns »

Angus - I recently downloaded a stretching app onto my phone. I was never good about stretching properly, could never remember which stretches to do or how long to hold them for. The app has been great - shows a pic of the stretch and times it for you. I have seen a huge improvement in my muscles since I have been doing the stretching daily, but especially after runs. It might with your calf pain! Good luck and keep at it!
matt

Post by matt »

That stretching app sounds worth a try, I'm rubbish at stretching. What's it called?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
2ciaos

Post by 2ciaos »

See the flames?! That would be from my legs on fire! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't complete all the runs. After the 1st run my legs were completely full of lead! It hurt to even go to the WC! Today I will do #3 -here's hoping I get less pain and more distance. After all it counts even if we do a long walk (in my opinion). You can do it!
SSMRuns

Post by SSMRuns »

Matt - the stretching app that I downloaded is Stretch Guru Run ( I believe) it was a free one

It allows you to set a custom series of stretches or there is a set plan - has certainly worked for me

W6R1 COMPLETED....ok, it took two attempts but there was a hangover involved at the first attempt :lol:
matt

Post by matt »

Thanks for that! I just got in from a run and remembered I'd never checked back for your answer. Going to download it now!

Cheers,

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Angus,

Here's one of the posts that I read when I first started this and it motivated me massively. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=660&p=3548&hilit=in ... onal#p3392

The first few weeks are tough, but you'll get there. Remember, it's not a race, it's a journey. Keep us all posted on how you get on.

Re: your calf, if it doesn't ease up then you need to do something about it. Highly recommend going for gait analysis and getting fitted for shoes that suit your gait.