Back pain in week 2

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
scoggy

Back pain in week 2

Post by scoggy »

I injured my back in 2008 and it's only recently (last six months or so) been consistently good enough for me to consider jogging. I started the programme last week, and had no back pain, so was very happy.

Following W2R2 I found my back pain waking me at night, so am now worried I won't be able to continue. Can anyone offer any advice? I'm looking for tips on, for example:
- avoiding back pain while running (can I change my style?)
- stretching exercises to help with my back
- the type of shoes to wear (I'm wearing some old gym trainers)

I've searched the forum and found a couple of useful threads, but the tool won't let me search for "back pain", just the words back and pain. One thread warns not to try to "run through" back pain. I'm hoping that's not
matt

Re: Back pain in week 2

Post by matt »

I would say head for your doctor, and possibly a shoe shop, in that order. Backs are delicate, and expensive to fix, and you don't want to do anything to annoy them.

I used to get consistent lower back ache when I was first running, but after I went to a decent shoe shop, had my gait analysed, and got the right pair of shoes for my feet, build and running style, that pretty much went away, so new shoes is definitely a consideration. But if I were you, I'd check with my doc before I carried on...

Also, sorry the forum search isn't that wonderful; it's on my (long) list of things to fix. In the meantime, you can use Google to search just these forums fairly easily; try this as a search on google.com:

site:forum.splendid-things.co.uk "back pain".

Hope that helps you find things in the meantime!

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
scoggy

Post by scoggy »

Thanks for the advice. I've had my gait analysed today, but am not keen on investing in running shoes until I work out whether my back problems are insurmountable and are going to stop me running. I've found some stretches and exercises which are recommended online. I'll give those a go and see how I go. I've had extensive physio before, and even a cat scan (which found no mechanical problems), but nothing seems to have worked and the pain eventually eased on its own.

Given that I mainly get the back pain at night, and not while running, maybe I need to look at my mattress. (That said, it's flared up since I started running.)

Thanks for the tip on search. I didn't mean to criticise - I was more trying to defend myself against accusations that I ought to search the forum first (which is advice I agree with, but I've noticed fewer people attacking others over that on this forum than on others!)
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Hi scoggy. Just another thought. I was off running for 3 months due to back pain last year. My physio at the time did her best but really I had a muscle spasm and so I had to rest. My back has just started to pinch again (during running so this may not affect you). My new physio said my gluteal muscles are weak so I need to do lots of squats to build them up. He said when people get tired during running they tend to stick their bum out and soften their back. This puts a lot of strain on the lower back muscles when really your gluteals should be doing the work. It may not be your answer but doing a load of squats each day wont do any harm.
Goood luck with your running :-)
scoggy

Post by scoggy »

Thanks for the tip. I'll pay attention to how I'm running to see if I'm doing that.

I've kept on running, and have a nagging back ache, though notice it more when sitting or lying down, and not while walking or running. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I'd like it to go away.

I've had my gait analysed (neutral) and havbe just got some new running shoes, which I'll try for my W3R3 tomorrow.
Jealoussiren

Post by Jealoussiren »

A lot of back pain in new runners is weakness, the gluteals (as mentioned before), but also abdominal and the erector spinae muscles of the back. When your back is flared up, consider doing some of your trainng in water. Do your jogs in waist deep water, it removes the jarring and the resistance of the water helps to strenghethen your leg muscles without increasing the strain on your back. You may also want to consider taking up pilates or yoga on your off running days to fully stretch out your back and to increase your core muscle strength. It is never a good idea to run through pain, your body is trying to tell you something is wrong. You may also want to consider the surface you are running on. Concrete or uneven ground are much more difficult on your back and joints than track material, asphalt or flat grass. If concrete is your only option, you may want to try a treadmill to see if there is a difference. Good luck!
scoggy

Post by scoggy »

A quick update, for the benefit of anyone with similar issues who comes across this thread, and also to thank the posters above.

I've just started week 5, and the back pain has got a fair bit better. I'm still getting some, but not as much. I got some better running shoes, but I think it's back strengthening exercises that helped the most (though can't say for sure).

It doesn't mean week 5 isn't hard though!
TheDogAteMyName

Post by TheDogAteMyName »

My back pain was caused by wearing cross trainers instead of running shoes. It made a world of difference. I just didn't know any better. Feel better soon!
Jealoussiren

Post by Jealoussiren »

So glad you updated! I hope it's all smooth sailing from here!