Week 7

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Ambrose

Week 7

Post by Ambrose »

Anyone else starting week 7 next week? I think I'm gonna need some motivation because week 6 was definitely not my finest. So let us know if you're starting week 7 and let's all encourage each other. Let's keep running.
benjohn

Re: Week 7

Post by benjohn »

I'm not, but keep running!

:-)

I think a lot of people find week 6 is hard, and my theory is that they're so flushed with success from the 20 minute run at the end of week 5 (and rightly so), that they don't pace themselves well in week 6.

Anyway – if you find week 7 is too tough, then run the week 6 program a little more until you're more comfortable with it. Look at the great progress you've made in the last few weeks, right? There's no hurry to get to the end :-)

Happy running,
Benjohn
missmolly58

Post by missmolly58 »

I just finished week 7 but repeated week 6 twice before that because I had a rough time with that first 25:00 run. Made it through the 3 runs of 25 minutes last week but I won't say it was easy. I'm starting on weak 8 tomorrow and I'm hoping the 28 minutes runs will go well. Little bit nervous! Can't believe I'm this far! I'm 58 and have never ran before. Amazing program!
SkiPixie

Post by SkiPixie »

I should have started week 7 last week, but am still rerunning week 6 because the 10+10 is still beating me. I do feel that theres no rush though and I'd rather take more time and know that I have mastered it before I move on to the next week. Its frustrating though, having made so much progress previously!
Run Baby, Run Baby, Run Baby, Run
SSMRuns

Post by SSMRuns »

Im right there with you SkiPixie - ran the 10-10 again yesterday (2nd attempt). Got through the first 10, and then the first 5 of the second 10. Alternated between fast walk and run for the last 5 minutes. Going to give it a go again tomorrow....and maybe again Thursday, leaving the 25 minute run for next weekend. I get up at 430 am to run during the week so maybe not having to get up so early on the weekend will bring me success on the 25!
SkiPixie

Post by SkiPixie »

Well, just did the 10+10 at the 3rd attempt! And outside too, so no longer a treadmill fraudster! This running game is full of highs and lows isnt it?!
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

BenJohn thanks once again for this wonderful program and thanks for the advice. I ran W7R1 today and it was okay. I think you are right about us putting too much pressure on ourselves especially after the big run at the end of W5. After R2 this week I'll decided whether to rerun W6 or not. Today the first 10mins were great but then my shins started hurting at the 15min mark. The torrential rain that we've been having here on the west coast of Canada haven't been helping me my motivation either. It was pouring rain at the start of my run and I had to will myself into stepping out of the door in to the cold, cold rain. I must say that the feeling of completing a run against all the odds we face as new runners is worth it. Keep running Sixpixie, missmolly, and SSMruns.
SkiPixie

Post by SkiPixie »

I must say it really helps my motivation and courage to know that there are other people all over the place going through the exact same thing. When I look at my shadow when I run, I do NOT look like a runner (way slow!), but my heart is building and my courage is increasing with every run. And to all of us here, I say a massive WELL DONE for simply getting out there! :D
SSMRuns

Post by SSMRuns »

Take that W6R2....I DID IT! No matter that it took 4 attempts! My mid back has been bothering me with a strain muscle, so I put some biofreeze sports rub in it this morning and DID IT!

Onto the 25 minute run on Saturday, then hopefully week 7!

PS - had to wear my rain jacket today for the first time since before starting the run....there was certainly a difference in the fit of it! I may not be losing lots of weight but my body shape is changing!
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Good job SSSM and everyone else! I does start to come together after awhile. I did my W7R2 yesterday. I took everyone's advice and slowed my pace down and it made a big difference. I have to keep reminding myself that running is now a part of my life and not a race to finish the program.
Let's keep running!