Unbelievably disappointed. :((((

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lumpy bumpy runner

Unbelievably disappointed. :((((

Post by Lumpy bumpy runner »

Made it as far as week 2 and shin splints have become so bad that even after resting for a full week, I am still in pain even just walking normally.

Was so enthused and accepted a little pain, but clearly something very wrong with my legs!!! Had gait analysis, got right shoes, stretched and iced pain post runs and still it's not right.

I think a trip to some sort of dr or physio is needed now as with clear rest this should not be the case.

Gutted. Don't want to loose my enthusiasm to do this. :((
starknut

Re: Unbelievably disappointed. :((((

Post by starknut »

Do see a doctor: they can recommend stretches and excercises that will help those muscles, and even prescribe an anti-inflammatory if necessary.

I had terrible shin splints for the first several weeks of the program, so I understand how hard it is to power through when it hurts. I hope you feel better soon!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Lumpy,

That really sucks, sorry. I definitely recommend going and talking to a doctor or physio, I'm pretty sure they will be able to help! Can you also (when you are walking more comfortably) just walk briskly for a good 30 minutes? Even that is great exercise!

Hope it'll work out.

Best wishes,
Benjohn
Stephlperry76

Post by Stephlperry76 »

I also suffered from shin splints a lot. I first tried this app back in September of last year. I couldn't continue. What I did was started to walk A LOT. This got my legs ready. Once I started this app again, my legs were in a better place. I still had shin splints though. The thing that got me through it was the stretching before and after. It wasn't a quick 2 minute stretch either. I now do at least 10 minutes of stretching now. It's helped me lots. A doctor can recommend the right stretches!
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

I also get shin splints but the severity has greatly been reduced by stretching. Someone on the forum recommended stretch guru and I've been using it after every run and its great. I've also gone back to seeing my massage therapist. That might be something to consider if it's accessible to you. Good luck.
Jealoussiren

Post by Jealoussiren »

You can build cardiovascular endurance over a period of weeks. You can build muscular endurance over a period of months. You build bone mass and endurance over a year. That's why when people walked for awhile and then went back to it, they were able to tolerate it better. This doesn't mean that you can't work on this. Try walking for 3 or 4 weeks for 30 minutes and then go back to try running. I think you will find that it is less painful. You may need to stay with the first week for a time to let your bones catch up to the rest of you. There is no failure in listening to your body, and you can and will be able to get where you need to be with a little patience.