An embarrassing problem

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Shuffler

An embarrassing problem

Post by Shuffler »

Does anyone else experience extreme gut cramps and an urgent need for the loo a few minutes into a run? It's happened to me on a couple of occasions and I've had to abandon the run and head for home immediately, to avoid a nasty accident. Not sure how to avoid this. Any suggestions?
starknut

Re: An embarrassing problem

Post by starknut »

Is this runner's diarrhea? I guess the best thing to do would be start your run at home and stay close, that way you can duck inside when the need hits.
Akmedredicus

Post by Akmedredicus »

How far into the program are you? They say you should use the rest room before going for a run. Running gets things moving inside your body, heart beating faster, blood pumping, and boost your digestion system up. This could cause that. Just try using the rest room before hand. Also how's your diet? Avoid greasy foods!
Started - Tuesday March 6th. Took 1 rest day!
Week 2 - started March 10th. Took no rest days!
Week 3 - started March 14th
FIRST MILE RAN WITHOUT STOPPING - March 20th
Week 4 - started March 21st
Week 5 - started March 26th
Shuffler

Post by Shuffler »

Thanks guys. I'm Week 4, although my extreme unfit state means I've taken several weeks to get this far. I'll take your advice re diet, peraration and sticking close to home!
Shuffler

Post by Shuffler »

That was meant to say "preparation"! Sorry.