Knowing when to repeat weeks

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
kaki

Knowing when to repeat weeks

Post by kaki »

Finished my first week tonight and am a bit torn as to whether I should repeat the week or move on to week two. Day 1 was just hard enough to be challenging and day 2 seemed fairly easy. However, day 3 I hit a wall. My knees are killing me and I ended up walking the last 1 minute run. I'm just wondering how much pain warrants repeating a week. I'd hate to injure myself, but repeating week 1 is a little demoralizing.
starknut

Re: Knowing when to repeat weeks

Post by starknut »

You may feel better after two days rest, and be totally able to complete week 2. It doesn't hurt to try! But if you find yourself really struggling, there's no shame in repeating week 1.
Shuffler

Post by Shuffler »

I've worked on the principle that I repeat the runs until I can do three consecutive ones as per instructions. This means it's taking me ages, but I am definitely progressing. I don't feel confident to move on to a new week until I feel I've really mastered the one I'm on.
kaki

Post by kaki »

Thanks. I soaked my legs really well last night after stretching and took some ibuprofen. Still hobbling around this morning though. I think, if the pain isn't significantly better by Thursday (my next scheduled run), I will end up repeating the week. Even though it was my lung capacity that I was most worried about, it's clear that I need to strengthen my muscles, tendons, bones and joints some. I think another week of just 8 minutes of running might be a good idea to avoid injury and build up some more strength. I hate to do it already, but if I want to actually continue with this and not just give up, I have to be smart about it.

I knew I was weak, but I had no idea I was this out of shape. I mean, I regular walk about a mile a day -- it's purely the difference in impact between gentle walking and running this killing me I think.
SSMRuns

Post by SSMRuns »

I know what worked for me - I did each individual run until I did the whole thing without stopping. I have been working away at the 25 minute run since last week but am making progress with each run

Listen to your body, and take care of your knees - there is nothing wrong with repeating a run or a week, do what you think will work best for you.

Good luck and you are off to a great start!
SJO38

Post by SJO38 »

I had a similar sounding first week to you and what I have found throughout is to watch your pace, especially in the early weeks. After first two runs were fairly easy you psychologically think 'ah it's only a minute of running' and so up your pace without realising and then find it quite a challenge. I also repeated first week so absolutely no shame and will build your confidence when you carry on with ease.