How to plan a 5K route?h

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Gareth111278

How to plan a 5K route?h

Post by Gareth111278 »

Hi all.
As my target is to be able to run 5K in 30 mins my thoughts are turning to how to work out a 5K route .
Is there an app or website to help with this? I have a distance tracker on my phone but last time I used it it clocked a mile walk @ 7 miles!!
Cheers , Gareth
matt

Re: How to plan a 5K route?h

Post by matt »

Hi Gareth,

I see you're in the UK, in which case http://gb.mapometer.com/ might be a good start. There's a few different "measure my route" web apps out there, but I find this to be one of the nicer ones. Basically, head there, find your area on the map, change the units at the bottom of the screen to "km", then hit "start", draw your route by clicking, and hit "stop". While you're drawing it'll update the distance in the sidebar, and also draw kilometre markers.

Cheers,

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Gareth111278

Re: How to plan a 5K route?h

Post by Gareth111278 »

Thanks Matt , that works great!
Just got to get up to 5K then concentrate on doing it in under 30 mins to get my yellow laces!