What do you do on your days off?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
TheDogAteMyName

What do you do on your days off?

Post by TheDogAteMyName »

Hello! I'm currently on Week 7 Run 3 and I am wondering what everyone is doing for exercise on their days off from running. I've not been doing anything and I'm wondering if I should be.

Thank you in advance!
Nichole
SSMRuns

Re: What do you do on your days off?

Post by SSMRuns »

When I started this program back in January it was part of a challenge to workout 30 days in a row - so I alternated the program with brisk incline walks on the treadmill, as well as daily stretching program. I ran every other day, never taking the 2 rest days as per the program.

I am now 58 days straight of workouts, without missing a day. I have halfway through week 7, running 25 minutes without stopping (still cant believe that) and I feel so much better. I have also stopped using the subway to get from the train station to work, and walk the 20+ minutes each way every day.

In the past couple of weeks I have started my training for a 220 km bike ride in June -and I can totally feel the difference from last year. My legs are stronger and my endurance is higher.

I am totally committed to finishing out the program, and then kinda think that I will try running 30 minutes Monday to Friday, with alternate activities on the weekend.
Mandy123

Post by Mandy123 »

I do this app called daily workouts everyday even after I run there is a free version and you can chose anywhere from a 10 minute workout to 25 minutes this helPs train your core muscles and arms and well as your legs it's great and ever-changing plus the lady does the excursuses to and it's just a video so it shows how to do it
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

I have started doing aqua aerobics and a little bit of yoga.its exhausting but I am only just starting week 4 so hopefully it will help with the longer runs!
Ian

Post by Ian »

You don't have to do anything on your days off. Building core strength can help you avoid injuries though. Up to 5k it's not massively important IMHO. I don't do anything on days off (although I've been helping out on a farm for the last few weeks and that beats any workout!)

My view is that I want running to be sustainable. If I do too much I am less likely to keep it up as a lifestyle. I'd go all out and then life would make me miss a session or two and I'd be on a slippery slope back to sloth.

Do what you can manage on an ongoing basis and if that's 3 times a week then youre presumably going to be much fitter than you were before with just that. You're also more likely to be still fit and regularly exercising in 5 years time because it's manageable.
TheDogAteMyName

Post by TheDogAteMyName »

Ian,

It makes perfect sense and I thank everyone for their input. I've been doing weights a few days a week. It's nothing crazy and I enjoy it. I think it helps with endurance or it could be all in my head. Running no longer is dreadful and I can see myself doing this for the long haul.

Thank you everyone!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I may join in on the light weights. But not until after the lambing! The nice part about weights is that they continue to burn calories for up to 24 hrs after a session (unlike running). Read that in one of the running magazines.
Mandy123

Post by Mandy123 »

I say do an ab workout to lOse weight on your stomach
starknut

Post by starknut »

Mandy123

Post by Mandy123 »

Well it works for me I've lost 15 lbs doing those types of workouts I recommend daily workouts the app you can customize what area to work on!