Running shorts + progress

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
FBrun

Running shorts + progress

Post by FBrun »

I'm looking for some basic running shorts that have a pocket big enough for an iPhone, now that the weather is warming up - I started running in loose, torn jeans (probably not recommended but I was going quite slowly so it was fine) then Ronhill Tracksters which look better but are a bit warmer.

Would like something like a 4" to 7" inseam but the pockets are more important. I also use a bum bag to hold a water bottle but would prefer phone to go in pocket so I can faff with it occasionally.

The running is going well - I'm up to week 8 (28 minutes continuous) and have only missed a few days due to illness or work/motivation. I can get through 28 minutes without feeling too tired, which is miraculous when I was aching for 2 days after my first ever run of 8 x 1 minute back in week 1! This programme really does work and I've recommended Get Running to several people, some of whom went right into a Parkrun of 5K without any training.

Parkrun sounds great btw, I've got my barcode ready for after week 9 - friendly timed 5K runs that you can turn up to without booking. Started in the UK but seems world-wide now: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
Gareth111278

Re: Running shorts + progress

Post by Gareth111278 »

Nice one, I'm glad you are doing well. On week 4 & worrying about longer runs now but I'm sure I'll make it!

Gents shorts with an iPhone pocket seem to be hard to find, have you tried Puma, adidas etc's web sites??
FBrun

Post by FBrun »

I've mostly tried Amazon for shorts but will try some other sites - the trouble is that they never mention the dimensions of pockets, hence looking for a recommendation. Maybe people use an armband holder for the iPhone instead?

Despite being a really really unfit person to start with (working at home and no exercise every week) I found the longer runs were fine. The programme is gradual enough that I could manage them without really pushing myself hard - just keep focusing on the next bit, not the next 15 mins. Smiling to myself helped somehow, at times, though if you are running on the street it might look a bit odd :)
NeilHughes1

Post by NeilHughes1 »

I'm currently on week 4 and picked up some new Ron Hill Tracksters for only £12.50 with a very handy front pocket for my iphone as I don't fancy the arm band.

However summer is coming and I'm a little nervous about looking like Alan Partridge in very short shorts but if there is a little pocket they would be perfect.
FBrun

Post by FBrun »

Just finished week 8 run 3 and I have bought some running shorts :)

In case others are interested, given how crap websites are at describing the pockets: the shorts are Adidas Clima 365, with two front pockets that can hold an iPhone 3GS, in an Otterbox commuter case that adds a little bulk - probably fine for any other iPhone. Generally Adidas seem to do quite a lot of shorts with good pockets, but the very short ones had only a small back pocket.

See http://catalogue.adidas.com/catalogue/s ... a365-Short - but note the pockets are not zipped. Cost £26 at my local shop where I could try them on in a refreshingly un-Internet way!
Gareth111278

Post by Gareth111278 »

Well done on the progress & thanks for the advice on the shorts it seems like a real problem for men!
Mandy123

Post by Mandy123 »

But any ideas of girl shorts!