Week 4

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Nohatjim

Week 4

Post by Nohatjim »

Hi everyone

I am 36 overweight 104Kg and always hated running. I first started at the gym about two years ago by a personal trainer and I worked up to being able to run 5k a couple of times a week but never faster than 36 minutes and reguarly more like 38 minutes. My aim has always been half an hour for 5k.

I am training at the gym sticking to the program as much as work and other commitments will allow.

I am using the split speed program on the running machine with my walk speed of 6kph and run as 10kph and 1% elevation.

Week 4 this week and I don't know about anyone else but did they find week 4 a big jump from week 3? I found week 3 relatively easy. Yet I have last night just completed the third run of week 4 and I haven't yet been able to complete the second five minutes without slowing down. So two questions

Should I progress to week 5 or try to do week 4 again until I can do full speed for all the runs?

Also why do my arms hurt so much after running.

Anyway I love the software I am already running faster and further than I thought possible.

thanks

J
benjohn

Re: Week 4

Post by benjohn »

You're setting quite a high pace there. If you think you're comfortable with it, then go for it, and try a few more runs if you want. Don't let the treadmill determine your pace though. If you can, try running outside and see how you find it. Perhaps you'll decide that a slower speed works for you for now – remember that you can speed up once you've got the time endurance up, and you're confident.

I should think that you're probably doing some exercise to your arms :-) Consider a few arm stretches after running – you might even be able to combine them in to your cool down.

You're doing great, and I'm glad you're enjoying it :-) !