SHIN SPLINTS Week 2-PLEASE HELP

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jspears

SHIN SPLINTS Week 2-PLEASE HELP

Post by Jspears »

Before I started, I went to a running store and was fitted for good shoes. While they determined that I do overpronate when I walk/run, they suggested a great pair of shoes. They have been extremely comfortable.

I started week 2 yesterday, and didn't notice pain in my shins until I was halfway through my workout. It wasn't completely unbearable, but I've read so many things about shin splints that you want to listen to your body and don't over do it or you could end up injured permanently. I am 5'9" and weigh 250 pounds...a bit overweight. It's probably expected since I've went from no activity to jogging.

I have really enjoyed this program and don't want to stop. Please...any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ian

Re: SHIN SPLINTS Week 2-PLEASE HELP

Post by Ian »

Hi Jspears,

There is a difference between an ache and pain. In the first few weeks I found that I had aches, but not pains. I was also quite stiff afterwards (2 - 24 hrs afterwards).

I found that stretching well after the runs helps. Also just rotating my ankles while watching TV (guilt free) after a run.

If it persists or is getting worse then maybe drop back a week until your body catches up?

I was also overweight. I still am a bit really. But I'm a LOT fitter.

The surface you're running on can make a difference too. Concrete is very unforgiving. Avoid it if you can. If you're road running try to find somewhere where you can actually run on the asphalt rather than concrete paving.

Examing your running position too. If you are landing hard on your heels rather than farther forward on your feet you are putting far more pressure on your legs. Lean forwards slightly and keep your stride lengths short. Short strides are more efficient than long ones.

If it gets bad then RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation).
starknut

Post by starknut »

I also suffered from terrible shin splints in the first weeks, and these stretches and exercises helped tremendously: http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercise ... tExerc.htm
Jspears

Post by Jspears »

Thank you for the response! Thankfully, it is not really "painful", but more of an ache and I can feel it in my bones. Since I have seasonal allergies, I have been walking at my gym on a treadmill. (My first workout was rough, coughed most of the night after my run).

Thank you for the stretches! I can really use these.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

The stretch advice looks great! My further 2 cents is a reminder that you can repeat a weeks' run as many times as you like. You don't have to progress through the program at the suggested speed (I didn't!) and if running a week two, three or four times helps, then do that! Getting out there and exercising is the important part. Progress will come in it's own time, but not if you're injured and can't exercise!

Happy running,
Benjohn
TheDogAteMyName

Post by TheDogAteMyName »

I had shin, calf, and side lower leg pain for 3 weeks while running. Also, I was extremely red and itchy on my upper half of my body only while running. My abdomen itched horribly during my runs. I was that out of shape! The leg pain and itchiness went away the fitter I got. I did stretch after runs but I'll be honest...you will have pain in the beginning weeks. Please do know that you won't soon. Every week I became stronger and now do not feel any discomfort anywhere. I will forever say the first few weeks are definitely the hardest! Feel well and keep us updated!
Mandy123

Post by Mandy123 »

Hi I'm 12 and doing this to join track I asked the track coach who is currently just home ec teacher what to do about shin splints and the trick is to put your legs in ice water 5 min then hot water at least 60 degrees and switch back and forth four times also just to educate you as she did I shin splint are when the muscle starts to peel off the bone be careful it is very serious!
Mandy123

Post by Mandy123 »

Again what?
starknut

Post by starknut »

Just report it as spam and let the moderators deal with it.
Mrtubbs83

Post by Mrtubbs83 »

I to have had shin pain since week 3 r 2 at end of the run and it's still there when I'm running. Do you think I have shin splints and should I take a break or try to power through. I am on week 4 run 1 and was unbearable at the end of that and today its effecting my walking I do a lot of running on the pavement and even had a proper running shoe fitting to prevent this. Help please..