Failure on Week 5, Run 3

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
kishe_lily

Failure on Week 5, Run 3

Post by kishe_lily »

Hi guys,

Amazingly, I've made it halfway through week 5! Really struggling now though, I managed to drag myself through the first 10 minutes, took a break and then ran another 4 minutes, by the end of which I felt physically sick. I'm not having any trouble at all as far as my legs go, but my lungs just won't play along. I'm quite frustrated because I was really looking forward to doing this run, but it's pretty clear to me that it's going to be quite some time before I can manage it. Has anyone else had trouble with this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Anna
Tan

Re: Failure on Week 5, Run 3

Post by Tan »

Don't worry! I did this run last week- I did manage it but was really worried. A friend of mine (a keen runner) told me to prep for a 'big' run properly. So before you went out, did you have enough food in your system- or water? Apparently you should drink water regularly through the day not just before the run. This hot weather is also worse for the body!
I used to be a confirmed couch potato before this programme, and am determined to complete. You can repeat runs too- just build back up to it. Don't give up now! I have my first 25 min run this weekend and my friend is doing it with me.
Good luck!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

You can definitely do it, don't worry. Lots of good advice above, and also, don't worry about slowing down to a more gentle pace.

To repeat a run, just scroll the journey at the bottom and touch on a different run, then press the Run button. Maybe run the earlier runs in the week until your feeling more confident, then give it a to again. You did manage 15 minutes, so it won't be long!
kishe_lily

Post by kishe_lily »

Hi there, thanks for the advice but I'm afraid it's going to be a lot more hard work before I can even dream of doing that run. I went out and re-did the second run of week 5 today, and it was a horrible struggle, with no motivation to keep going whatsoever. I spent about two hours recovering and my hopes for ever running for 20 minutes straight are pretty low right now. In addition, summer's really starting to hit Italy, so 26 degrees first thing in the morning is the coolest I can hope for during a run, which isn't really helping :(.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Stop with that negative thinking right now ;-) That's not going to get you anywhere!

I took quite a while to get past the 20 minutes. I think I ran through week four at least twice, and then ran through week five's earlier runs a few times before I moved on and hit the 20 minute run. Don't get disheartened, it will happen, it might just take a little while, but you really can do it :-)

That heat is a struggle though! Going out early seems like a great approach to avoiding it, and it's nice to set yourself up for the day too.

Do a run that you can manage comfortably, and enjoy yourself, then move on. Also, make sure that you moderate your pace, let yourself run more slowly if you can.

Keep letting us know how it goes!
kishe_lily

Post by kishe_lily »

Hi there,

Sorry for taking a while to respond, have been quite busy with one thing and another. I actually had a go at running Week 6, Run 1 yesterday and am planning on repeating that and then having a go at the two 10 minute runs. I have a feeling that knowing that I have run for 20 minutes, even if it isn't all at once will make it a whole lot easier for me to run for 20 minutes straight. Still quite worried about running for that long, but working on it still.