Absolute beginner seeks reassurance fast!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Thinksize12

Absolute beginner seeks reassurance fast!

Post by Thinksize12 »

Hi everyone,
Today was week 1 run 2. (I did say I am an absolute beginner!). Run 1 was a toughie - but I completed it walking and running in all the right places ... Run 2 though I anticipated would be easier ... How wrong could I be? After the first 30 seconds or running my legs felt like lead and though I pushed through and completed all 8 runs, I'm not actually sure I'll be able St stand upright tomorrow! My lovely hubbie hasade me stretch to within an inch of my life ... But my question is, is this normal? When will it feel easier and please God, tell me when I'll start to look forward to my runs cos at the moment I don't think I'll ever get there!
Mandy123

Re: Absolute beginner seeks reassurance fast!

Post by Mandy123 »

Good job!
PennyN

Post by PennyN »

Hi. Make sure you are hydrated. Get a large sport type drinking bottle and drink small amounts through the day until you have finished 2full bottles. I've been taken of a ski hill in a sled from pain and cramping in my legs just because I was dehydrated. I learn my lesson that day. Drink lots of water and even more if you drink coffee. Lots of luck
AimeeA

Post by AimeeA »

I was exactly the same on run 2! I assumed the first one would be the hardest but it certainly wasn't the case for me. If I'm being brutally honest it kept feeling really hard until after week 4. That was the turning point for me, I then started to feel a little fitter. I still find it hard but in the same way that I find any exercise hard. My advice is keep going! I was ready to quit many times (especially run 1 week 4!) but I had to keep going as I'm being sponsored to do a 5k in July. I'm on week 6 now which is a miracle! I'm 5 stone overweight and have a poorly pelvis, never attempted to run before. Trust me, If I can do it anyone can!! x
Thinksize12

Post by Thinksize12 »

Aimee, I think we have a fair bit in common - more pressure for you now ... I'll be following your progress! I start week 2 tomorrow - and though I've no intention of throwing in the towel, I'm better prepared for knowing that it will be tough for a good while yet! Well done on your achievement so far!
If you don't mind me asking, you mention that you're overweight. Have you found that you've lost any weight on this program?
starknut

Post by starknut »

Unless you're actively counting calories, you probably won't lose WEIGHT, but I guarantee you will lose FAT. I've finished C25k and slowly worked my way up to about 4 miles per run, and I have not lost a pound. BUT, I fit into my old jeans from before I had my son.
AimeeA

Post by AimeeA »

hiya thinksize12!

I am slowly loosing weight but I also go to slimming world. I have been going there quite a long time but i am doing much better since i have started to exercise and my shape has changed quite dramatically! I have gone down 2 dress sizes since I start this program!

I have just completed run3 week 6 this evening wahoo!! I must say it was tough but I did it. I hit the wall around 13 - 14 mins in but I just kept chanting to myself 'just keep running' and then i got a second wind after the 15 min mark! Make sure you keep us updated to how your doing xx
Ian

Post by Ian »

Great advice about keeping hydrated ... and not just a quick glass of water before you head out the door.

My experience was that the first few weeks came as a bit of a surprise to my body and it took me a while to adjust. I also found that not every run was brilliant. Often though, a hard run came just before I noticed a real improvement in my running.

Stick at it because it works... I'm just about to head out for a 42 min run! I was an absolute couch potato and I'm still a smoker... so if I can do it....
Thinksize12

Post by Thinksize12 »

Hi guys, just a week on from my last post and here I am having completed week 2, run 2! I'm still waiting for it to get easy - but the last 3 runs have been nowhere like as hard as the second one! I'm also still waiting for my dress size to drop down two notches (very encouraging Aimee!) ... But I WILL keep you posted! X
DesertBloom

Post by DesertBloom »

I think we must have started around the same time thinksize12 ;)

Yesterday was my third run of week 2 and it was tough. But sooooo happy I persisted and kept running and walking and running some more!! We can do it!

The 3 minute run in week 3 has got me slightly worried though...