Absolute beginner seeks reassurance fast!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Thinksize12

Absolute beginner seeks reassurance fast!

Post by Thinksize12 »

Hi everyone,
Today was week 1 run 2. (I did say I am an absolute beginner!). Run 1 was a toughie - but I completed it walking and running in all the right places ... Run 2 though I anticipated would be easier ... How wrong could I be? After the first 30 seconds or running my legs felt like lead and though I pushed through and completed all 8 runs, I'm not actually sure I'll be able to stand upright tomorrow! My lovely hubbie has made me stretch to within an inch of my life ... But my question is, is this normal? When will it feel easier and please God, tell me when I'll start to look forward to my runs cos at the moment I don't think I'll ever get there!
Mandy123

Re: Absolute beginner seeks reassurance fast!

Post by Mandy123 »

The most common is week three is when it starts to get better!
NeilHughes1

Post by NeilHughes1 »

I am currently on week 5 and can say that the first few weeks are the hardest but if you stick with it, you will amaze yourself. Every week you think I can't do this but your body will adapt, I promise you.

A few weeks ago I couldnt run for a minute but now running for 20 so if a gaming couch potato like me can do it, then anyone can :)
Thinksize12

Post by Thinksize12 »

Thank you Mandy and Neil
Neil, I've just read your blog! Very entertaining. You're clearly made of sterner stuff than I am ... 5 runs a week ... Wow!
I will continue to 'dig deep' afterall, the 8 minutes of running that I did thisevening is 8 minutes more than I did in the whole of last month! Thanks guys, your encouragement is much appreciated. X
starknut

Post by starknut »

Right now, you are doing the hardest part. I have finished the Couch to 5k program and slowly worked my way up to running 45 minutes, and I am telling you that NOTHING is quite as frustrating, disheartening and difficult as what you are doing in the first three or four weeks of this program. Hang in there, it does get better!
NeilHughes1

Post by NeilHughes1 »

The only way I manage 5 runs a week is by forcing myself to get off the train and run home when I finish work. This way it doesn't eat into my personal time but must admit the Easter Holidays is interrupting my new regime so have some catching up to do.

Seriously though every week, you end up pushing yourself and sometimes you might fail and have to repeat a run but please stick with it because it really works.
Mandy123

Post by Mandy123 »

Good thing my next run is on monday I can skip right over the Easter festivities!
TheDogAteMyName

Post by TheDogAteMyName »

Yes! The beginning runs are the hardest. I am starting Week 9 today and believe it or not it gets easier. Sounds crazy I know. I think if we took a poll the majority would say that the later weeks are easier on them than the beginning weeks. That being said even with the longer runs in the later weeks. Your body is amazing and will adapt. You can do this...as I say all the time...if I can do this anyone can. Nothing will get you through these runs like heart and determination will. It's not the shoes or fancy gadgets, it's YOU. Once you start believing it you'll see a difference. I still push myself to do this because if running were easy wouldn't everyone be doing it?

You can do this! I believe that you can!
Wombat

Re: Absolute beginner seeks reassurance fast! Twitter?

Post by Wombat »

Run #2 Week #1 Tomorrow for me also just learning Twitter also.....anyone else just starting out want to add me? I'll do likewise wombat98349 Pacific time zone.....
Michael