Need Advice for July 22nd 5k - in Two weeks - thanks

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
ssdguy

Need Advice for July 22nd 5k - in Two weeks - thanks

Post by ssdguy »

I finished the Get Running app on July 8th. I ran a little over 2.5 miles (maybe 2.75) in 30 minutes. Have been cramping at the end but overall not bad.

My first 5k race is July 22nd and I'm not sure how to train for the next two weeks. How many rest days should I take before the race on Sunday?

This is my idea:

This week: run 3X (tues(TODAY),thurs,saturday) but instead running for time, run 3.0 miles so i can atleast get the distance.
Next week: run 2X (tues, thurs) but only 2.0 miles. I'll rest Friday and Saturday, then race Sunday.

How does that sound? I'm new to the long distance running so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Carlos_wsop

Re: Need Advice for July 22nd 5k - in Two weeks - thanks

Post by Carlos_wsop »

I completed the app last Nov and have now run about 6 5ks and got quicker each time so this works for me , your run is in 2 weeks so doesn't leave you much time , your 1st week seems ok except on the Saturday I'd try and run 4 miles no matter how slow you have to run it , week 2 id run 2 miles on Monday at a steady pace , tues day off , weds 2 miles at race pace so set yourself a realistic time for 5k say 33 mins which is just over 10min 30sec pace and try and cover 2 Miles in say 21/22 mins don't worry if u can't do this just have a go , thurs day off , fri 3 Miles nice and steady , sat day off , sun your race . Another good tip is to eat well especially on the sat say a nice pasta meal or something with plenty of carbs in , have a good kip then eat breakfast at least 2hrs before your race say porridge something again with plenty of carbs and have a sports drink with you to sip on upto 45mins before your start . Good luck and I hope this helps , let us know what time you managed , as I said your a bit pushed for time to train properly but use that as a positive knowing you will have run even quicker with more time to train ,

Good luck
Carl
ssdguy

Post by ssdguy »

Well, just finished my run using the "Mapmyrun" app. I didn't see your post till after my run.

I ran for 3.4 miles in 36 minutes. I finished 3.0 miles in about 32:30 minutes at a average 10:40 min/mile pace. I'm thinking its not bad considering I haven't ran 3.0 miles before. Hopefully that app is accurate.

Thank you for the running and food advice. I will definitely run 4.0 miles on Saturday but at a slow pace. I'm concerned about running three times next week including running on Friday. I only planned to run twice. Running friday would only give me one days rest before the 5k Sunday.

I understand my training for the 5k is tight, I just completed the getrunning app a few days ago though. I know I can run for 30 minutes, just concerned about finishing a 5k. If I complete it under 35 minutes, great.

My ultimate goal for this race is to finish it, this is my first 5k.

My knee feels a little shaky today (no pain), felt like that before and after my run. I wore a knee brace for stability. I'm going to ice and try to stay healthy before the race. I've had this go away if I rest properly.

Thank you again.
ssdguy

Post by ssdguy »

Well, two weeks before my race I start feeling sick. Stomach's been off for a week. Doctor is running tests and told me not to run. I probably need to go on antibiotics.

Race if off, but there are plenty of 5ks in Chicago this summer.

Sucks that this happened right before my first 5k. I'll probably re-start the get running app when I get better.