Horrible Run Today

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
Jeweleechicks

Horrible Run Today

Post by Jeweleechicks »

OK. I finished the program at the beginning of July. I have continued to run 3 days a week since my completion. I run for 30 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and 3 miles on Saturdays. Up until now, I have seen good progress. I have been working on speed. Today, however, I felt like a newbie. I almost felt as though I wouldn't be able to complete the run and boy was I slow. Has this ever happened to anyone? What's going on? I wonder if I haven't been drinking enough water? Maybe the heat just got to me? I really hope Saturday's run goes better!!
Jbutler

Re: Horrible Run Today

Post by Jbutler »

I've had some terrible runs since ive finished the program too. There have been a couple times that I've turned around at the 3/4 mile which means about a 16 minute run total. There have been weeks where all I've run is 4.5 miles

But there have also been days where I've run 6.2 miles doing a 10k, and days where my pace has been excellent (for me).

Don't give up or get frustrated because you have a bad day. Great days are ahead.
starknut

Post by starknut »

Have you ever heard that saying, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak"? It's true. Some days your body just isn't having it! It's okay, and it happens to everyone.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

What I do when this happens is I walk a bit, and then I run again. I think sometimes you body is extra cool and needs some loosening up. I know it can feel like a cheat, but if you've done your run, I don't think it is :-) Even established runners have days when they feel well off peak — that's annoying, but human, I think. Just chill back and enjoy something about moving.