Half Marathon - Thanks to this app

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
NeilHughes1

Half Marathon - Thanks to this app

Post by NeilHughes1 »

Hi Guys,

When I started this app, back in April I was a self confessed couch potato who eat too much with no exercise at all.
My idea of exercise was getting up to switch the xbox on, but after hitting 15.5 stone and 38 inch waist, I came accross this app and it really has changed my life.

In week 1, I struggled like hell to run for 1 minute at a time but with a little determination and the voice of Claire in my ears telling me keep going I was able to finish the program.

Since then, I have been able to push myself to 10k and feel better than ever, and have just entered the Birmingham Half Marathon in October, so wish me luck :o

The reason for this post is to prove that anyone can do it, if they set their mind to it and thank each and everyone of you for your encouragement and making this app.

Much love to you all :D
Jbutler

Re: Half Marathon - Thanks to this app

Post by Jbutler »

It's so Great to hear your success! I started the couch to 5k because I was bored and I wanted to be healthier. I had no big weight problem thanks to some good genetics, but I saw other signs that I wasn't as healthy as I really should be. I finished the program just over a month ago and since finishing I have run a race every weekend which has included three 5ks, two 10ks, and a 5k run/obstacle course on a mountain. I was nervous before my first 5k, and took my first 10k at a snail pace, but it has been so awesome to go out and run an entire race. I feel good at the end knowing that I can run 3.1 or 6.2 miles without stopping, and I get excited trying to break my PR.

I started doing the bridge to 10k app after completing the C25K, but on a whim signed up for the first 10k with a friend because neither of us had run one and we decided why not try, we could always walk if we needed to. After finishing the first one without walking, I knew I could do it and signed up for the second one and pushed myself just a little bit. I cut 6 minutes off my overall time, and the second course was very hilly compared to a very flat first race.

These forums have been great for me, to see others who are continuing to be successful. Good work!
NeilHughes1

Post by NeilHughes1 »

Thanks for your kind words, where does the time go?
I started the Get Running program in March and my first race the Birmingham Half Marathon is tomorrow morning, and I have had 5 jack Daniels and cokes this evening for medicinal purposes of course ;)

I'm a little nervous but will report back tomorrow night.
NeilHughes1

Post by NeilHughes1 »

Back in February I liked cake and watching TV, but a wedding suit measurement of a 38" waist scared the life out of me, so it was time for one last cake.http://youtu.be/5331wFxJx1w

My wife pointed me in the right direction of this app, and it really has changed my life, which sounds cheesy but it's true.

I have just finished the Birmingham Half Marathon (my first ever race) in 2 hours 17 minutes.

I just wanted to thank everyone who made this app, and the support from the community on here that made it all possible.

I will spend the rest of the day walking like John Wayne with sore nipples, but there's nothing new there. :lol:
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

CONGRATULATIONS! That's a brilliant time, especially considering you've not been running for all that long. You look so happy with your medal! Such an inspiration x
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Haha, inspired by you I've decided to start training for a half marathon in April, starting as soon as I'm done with this app! (just finishing week 6 now). Looks like fun!
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

I just finished my first half marathon. My goal when I try a new distane is always to finish without walking and to not worry about my time. It took me 2:27:47, but I didn't walk at all. The first four miles were a long gradual hill, and the rest of the course was rolling hills. Overall very excited to have finished and wondering what's next!
NeilHughes1

Post by NeilHughes1 »

Toadie wrote:Haha, inspired by you I've decided to start training for a half marathon in April, starting as soon as I'm done with this app! (just finishing week 6 now). Looks like fun!
Go for it!, seriously the idea of me completing something like this was more than a little crazy but when you complete it, you will be so chuffed. Most importantly though it will keep you running and give you something to aim for so let me know how you get on.
NeilHughes1

Post by NeilHughes1 »

Jbutler wrote:I just finished my first half marathon. My goal when I try a new distane is always to finish without walking and to not worry about my time. It took me 2:27:47, but I didn't walk at all. The first four miles were a long gradual hill, and the rest of the course was rolling hills. Overall very excited to have finished and wondering what's next!
Well done, that is fantastic.

I am wandering what to do next too, I am a long way from contemplating a full marathon so will just keep plodding along for now as we hit the winter months,
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

I've got my eye on a full marathon next year. Would be quite a thing to say I've completed one! My hope is that I can stay in somewhat decent shape over the winter so that when I pick up running again next spring I won't have to start over. Love the success this program has given me!