IT band knee pain

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
Catherine31350

IT band knee pain

Post by Catherine31350 »

Hi wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom regarding knee pain I believe from my IT band muscle. Currently training for my first 10k which is on 29th Sep, and was doing fine until the last couple of weeks. I tried resting for 10 days but my run today started out fine up to about 15 mins into my run when the pain started and I was not able to run the last 6mins of my 45mins run. Has anyone got any experience with this problem? Is 10 days not a long enough rest, should I have waited longer? Getting a bit worried that if I dont do my training I won't complete my 10k. Help!
Jbutler

Re: IT band knee pain

Post by Jbutler »

Google IT band stretches, try them all and pick the two or three you feel the stretch the most with and do them faithfully every day. You need to hold for at least 15 seconds of a moderate stretch (don't over stretch or your muscle will just tighten up even more), do it three times per day.

Also google foam roller for IT band and try that.
starknut

Post by starknut »

Yes, foam rollers! I couldn't remember what they were called! Foam rollers are supposed to be excellent for IT band pain.
Catherine31350

Post by Catherine31350 »

Great thanks for the advice. Orderd a foam roller and started stretches. Let's hope it works, I will be gutted if I can't do my run after all the hard work I've put in from having difficulty in running 1 min to running 45 mins.