Pacing in different terrain

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
Digbycat

Pacing in different terrain

Post by Digbycat »

Hello all - finally finished he programme this week and this morning was such a stunning day I went for a 3 mile run (bit of walking) in the woods. Up until now all my runs have been on a nice flat canal path or nearby road when that was flooded.

I had a brilliant time really enjoyed it but my stats were rubbish. I have been averaging a slow plod of 13.5 min mile, which I'm quite happy with, it may be slow but its getting better. Today the average was over 15 arggggghhh and the pacing was all over the place. - ok I had hills I've never done hills before and there were sections of slow down or you will trip over a tree root and break something. Parts of it were also quite slippy and muddy but I coped with those ok.

Is this normal? Any suggestions gratefully received because I definitely enjoyed it more than my regular route.
Jbutler

Re: Pacing in different terrain

Post by Jbutler »

Don't worry about pace. Just enjoy your runs. When I go on my training runs my pace is about 12:30. When I do a race it's 9:15. Do it for the endurance and try not to get too discouraged with your pace.