Advice for running in the cold?

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
running_shoes

Advice for running in the cold?

Post by running_shoes »

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any tips for running in the cold? What are the best materials, brands, styles, gloves - no gloves?
It's getting a bit too chilly in the morning now for what I usually wear and don't want to wear too much and be too hot.
Digbycat

Re: Advice for running in the cold?

Post by Digbycat »

Yes I'm struggling with this too - I've moved onto a long sleeved running top that I bought from next years ago and I've got 3/4 length Nike running tights which have just about had it so I'm going to get some full length ones next week.

I'd also like some advise on running with the air quality with the cold air. I finished week 9 a couple ago but today struggled with 5 mins as it was getting right on the back of my throat:(
Mummyrita

Re: Advice for running in the cold?

Post by Mummyrita »

When I run in the cold I layer. Try a thinnish jacket that you can take off and tie around your waist mid run. I also find 3/4 sleeves useful, as long as it is a breathable material, as the thing that really gets to me is the cold air on my arms. For this reason, I also like wearing gloves if I'm running in the cold.

Bear in mind that what you wear is a trade off between how hot you'll get when running and how cold you are when you start. The reason I like longer sleeves and gloves in the cold is that even when my core warms up with the run, my arms get extremely cold to the point of painful. And you can always stick the gloves in your pocket if you get hot.

I did one run this winter where the wind on my face was so cold and painful that I was running with my gloved hands over my face, peeping through tiny slits between my fingers! Lol.

Hope this helps.

Rita