6.5 Stone Overweight and completed every session.

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
Slinky

6.5 Stone Overweight and completed every session.

Post by Slinky »

I started this programme 6.5 stone overweight and completed it. I made sure I had good cushioned running shoes and ran on grass for extra shock absorbing ! Did I find it hard ? Yep to begin with my legs ached at night. After seeing my Mother in a hospital bed over Christmas with heart problems due to an unhealthy diet I decided at 45 I was not going to let this happen to me and have my children spending Christmas in such a selfish way with so much heartache. I decided to get fit and do something big, I have chosen to run the Aviemore half marathon in October 2013. So I went out on a frosty January night as I was too embarrassed for anyone to see this fat lady try and run. That first session was a real eye opener for me. It felt like my legs were going to collapse and I realised with such horror how unfit I was. This just made me more determined to complete the app. I took the advice that if I was struggling to slow down a little and stuck to the instructions. I read lots of experiences where runners to be had thought the app was not progressing quick enough did more and failed. I was so determined this would not happen to me. I also concentrated on my posture as I have a bulging disc. Good sports bra and stood up tall !! Luckily no further problems. I have lost 1 stone 2.5 lb while completing this and that has actually made the running easier. I progressed to running in Sherwood Forrest and took my two dogs Rosie and Wilfy. Some good tunes on my IPhone and downloaded Nike Run which was brill for showing me how far I had run and speed. I have never succeeded at anything to do with fitness before. Oh my god I love the running and I completed it. I actually enjoy it. I like to run. Thinking of doing this ? If I can you can just do it as Nike say you won't regret it !
Tatum24

Re: 6.5 Stone Overweight and completed every session.

Post by Tatum24 »

Well done you are Awesome
I am so Inspired by you so thank you for writing your story .I Wish you many more happy runs :D
Mamma Nats

Post by Mamma Nats »

Wow! That's great! I'm so impressed. I just have to make time to run more often... :D
dublinpride

Post by dublinpride »

Lovely story !

Thanks for letting us know that IT CAN BE DONE.
Missy

Post by Missy »

It's brilliant to hear your success story. I'm only a little overweight and decided I needed to do something about it and seeing your story has made me want to carry on too. Well done you and keep it up. :D
JaneB

Post by JaneB »

Fantastic to read this, you are so inspiring! How is the training going for the half marathon in October?
Jane