34 days after the program...

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
Mahnster1

34 days after the program...

Post by Mahnster1 »

Well, it is now 34 days after completing the program. I hit all my program goals when I completed week9 run 3. I ran, no walking or stopping for 30 min. I ended up in a 5K on what was also week 8 run 3 and ran the entire 5k albeit in 35:42. Since the program, the goal was to simply keep running 3-4 times per week. Other than that, no defined goals.

I dabbled with 33 minutes as a 5K goal, and while I was making slow progress, I was not very focused. This week started with a long run. I kept running for 4.4 miles (7km) this was huge, because this put the thought of a 10K in my head. The next day, I went to do some interval training, 200m fast run not a sprint, then 200m walk. I did this until I got to 5k. When I looked at my time, I realized I hit 34:42, just 20 sec more than my PB. This made me think that I must not be pushing me self hard enough on my morning runs.

On Tuesday night, after preparing for my next morning run, I was so excited I could barely sleep. I woke up at 4:40am ready to get to the park. This time, after my 5 min warmup walk,I really pushed the pace (for me). When I got to the end, my GPS unfortunately malfunctioned for the last .07K. However backing up 5k from the last good position into my warm up walk, I still covered 5k in 33 min, 1:22 less than my old PB. I was thrilled. The next goal is a 10 min miles for 5K (31 min). I will see tomorrow, 18 Oct, if I can improve more as I go on a 3mile fun run.

The couch to 5K program got me past an increadable number of mental barriers and for that I am for ever greatful. It also gave me the confidence to set and attain new goals. Good Luck to all of you who finished, and all working the program or considering it. Remember, you can't do week 9 run 3 if you don't start, so get started!
Runner08

Re: 34 days after the program...

Post by Runner08 »

After reading this i gave intervals a go on what should have been a couple of none run days it was a real eye opener. Running fast and hard for 250 meters followed by walking for 250 meters reminded me of the early days of the app when a light jog for 1 min had me gasping for air and i was never realy reovered by the time i needed to run again. Now i recover much quicker and am ready for the next hard run. It made me realise how much easier running is for me now and how mixh fitter i am. I also found that my regular runs this week felt realy slow, much slower than usual, even though when finished my times were not down at all. Ive found it very inspiring and will keep going with the intervals once or twice a week on none run days.
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

Great to here it helped. I am trying to read more about interval training for folks who actually know what they are talking about (verses me just trying something on a whim.) Hopefully I can take more advantage. Good Luck and keep running
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

Tomorrow mark 60 days since the program. I have averaged nearly 4 runs per week. Since my post on Oct 17, I have run over 10K in a weekend long run, ran 3 miles in 32 min on the Oct 18 3 mile fun run, and ran my 2nd organized 5K race in 32:00 on Nov 9 for a new PR, 3:50 better than my first 5K race on Sept 7. My weight loss has slowed, but considering my legs are all muscle, and I have lost 6 inches on my waist and stayed there, that is ok. It is getting cold here in the Florida panhandle so no is time to learn to run in the cold. Shorts and a T shirt are fine down to 40 F (5 C) but it is getting to the 30s next week, and I hate the treadmill.

Keep at it everyone, you can succeed. Set small, achievable goals, and remember you are a winner every time you walk or run outside or get to the gym or are active in any way.
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

Tomorrow will be 100 days since the program. I generally run 3-4 days per week, have maintained my weight loss, and know ever time I walk out the door I can run a 5K, but still not under 30 min. PR is 31:26. I hear it takes time to ingrain a habit, I think I am there. Now more goals!