Cold weather running

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
Lovelylight

Cold weather running

Post by Lovelylight »

Cold mornings are taking some of the pleasure out of my running. Any advice on kit etc.? I warm up well inside and make sure I am ready to go, but those first 5 mins is horrid, the next 5 only slightly better then I have warmed up and feel ok. If I put too many layers on I am boiling after 10 mins, not enough and I am freezing at first. Suggestions?
Gillhunter

Re: Cold weather running

Post by Gillhunter »

I've just come across the same problem after running this morning. It was so cold I became tired quicker and i found it also affected my breathing rhythm. I'm thinking of buying those thermacool tops, they keep you warm in winter but are a light, breathable material. I think you can buy some styles with a polo neck which will keep my throat warm and hopefully make my breathing a bit easier.I'll probably just get jogging bottoms to keep my legs warm.
Gillhunter

Post by Gillhunter »

Btw Thermacool isn't actually what those tops are called, for some reason that's the name stuck in my head.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

The tactic I used in the cold months of last winter was to go out quite warmly dressed, and then abandon some of my kit (snow boarding hat and gloves) in a bush just after warming up. On the way home I picked them up just in time to don them for a nice toasty cool down :-)

There are probably better solutions available if you want to get some high tech running gear though!

Good luck.