What should we do next?!

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
benjohn

What should we do next?!

Post by benjohn »

A lot of people who have got in touch using http://getsatisfaction.com/splendid_things/ have said that they want Get Running to continue after nine weeks and take them further.

It's lovely to know that we've got things right enough that you want to continue using Get Running (even without GPS!). The question is, what should we do next?

We really want to make sure that what ever we build is an Application that you want to buy (we're smart like that, see), so we're extremely keen to get your thoughts and suggestions.

I should say right now that not every idea will make it in to what ever we build, sorry. We've got to make sure we don't create a Fanken'-App or Swiss-Pocket–Tool-Shed-App (take a look here if you're not sure what I'm talking about – http://bit.ly/auvKOT).

Also, we might not build another application! Maybe by talking about it, you'll show us (and all your other running companions) that there are already brilliant applications out there to continue running with. If that's how things are, then at least we'll have got a good list of Apps to run with in future.

So – in summary, please post with ideas, or simply features in other Apps that you think work really well, or even things that work badly and should be avoided or improved on.

Thanks everyone!
mikel

Re: What should we do next?!

Post by mikel »

Why not create another app that follows the "Gateway to 8K" program? That seems like what most people who finish C25K graduate to.

http://www.djsteveboy.com/gw28koutline.html
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

That looks cool, thanks for the link.

My issue would be that it seems to need specific music, as far as I can see? We could maybe provide some options for that as downloads… :-) Have you used this plan, by the way?
dui

Post by dui »

I really like the idea of GW8K or something similar for 10K, possibly even longer eg half marathon.
Previously I was running ~10k but ended up with knee pain from over doing it and had to take a few months off. This time I decided to build up slowly by doing the c25k, and chose your app as my coach. I liked that I could trial the first week for free to see if the app did what I wanted - and it did. I chose Get Running because of the great reviews, I liked the way it looked, I liked the voice prompts (nice voice, very encouraging tone) but especially I liked that you don't have to play music to use it. I don't run with music/headphones and love that I can carry my iphone in a bum bag and clearly hear the prompts. I would/will absolutely buy the next program, (even without GPS tracking, which would be nice but not necessary), hopefully it will be ready when I finish c25k in 4 weeks!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Thanks Dui, it's great to hear you like Get Running for the reasons that we spent our time on! I also did a lot of my runs without music, so that's something I knew had to work. I guess I should be frank and say that there's unlikely to be a follow on to Get Running in four weeks. Sorry about that. I do want to do a follow on though, and I've got some ideas simmering away – I've also got some other priorities at the moment though, as I want to get something out for close to the iPad launch.

Enjoy your last few weeks with Get Running, and keep a look out here – I'll definitely announce the Get Running sequel here!

All the best,
Benjohn
mikel

Post by mikel »

G28K doesn't require music. I just think the site I linked to is a music orientated version of it. Thats why the BPM is there but you notice its very much about interval running still. The small 1 min gaps seem to be the walking part. I'm sure you can find more details with a bit of Google searching.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Thanks for clarifying that Mike, I'll take another look.
mikel

Post by mikel »

I've been thinking about how you should further develop the application.

I think one of the advantages of the application is its name. It does not imply its only limited to C25K and this in my opinion is something you should leverage.

If I had a magic wand this is how I would transition the application:

1) Make the application free (bare with me on this).
2) Add paid unlockables that enable different modules.

I would give away the first 2 weeks of C25K as the free portion of Get Running. I would then make it that you pay the current price and it unlocks the full C25K program. This allows you to continue on with the program you started.

By going down the downloadable paid content path, you only have to maintain one application. When a user finishes a program (say C25K) you do not want them looking in the app store to see whats next. Thats giving your competition applications a chance to take your users. Keep them within the application and let them unlock the next program they want to follow.

After C25K, i'd offer GW8K, 10k, half marathon and full marathon options. Obviously thats a long term goal and would take serious time to research and implement.

One program helps keep the familiar feel. You don't have to maintain other applications and you don't have to worry about the popularity of other applications in your range. All your work can remained focus on the existing application.

I hope this feedback helps in whatever direction you decide to choose.
mikel

Post by mikel »

I'd also like to add to my previous post another feature that I think is needed. A free running mode. You define how long you want to run for and you are given the 5 minute warmup, and every 5 minutes are given an update of how long you have been running for, followed by a 5 minute cool down.

I see Get Running being a permanent running companion rather than something you complete and move onto another running application. I've become quite used to how things work and would rather not switch to Run Keeper when all I really need is audio cues.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hello,

I am no where near the end but I agree with MikeL. One of my friends has a different app (she doesn't have an iphone or itouch) and hers has no prompts and I think she finds it harder than I do.

I think I would really like to have prompts. Maybe there could be some options as to how frequently you have them as I am sure some people don't need them as often as others....or maybe somedays, when things are hard...a prompt is great - on the days when all is well with the world - maybe music is enough. _ have found myself to be very pro the promp!!! :lol: :lol: