What should we do next?!

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
dpcoz

Re: What should we do next?!

Post by dpcoz »

I highly recommend creating two apps:

1) Bridge to 10K for 5K grads

2) Separate 10K training program

My theory is that if 5K grads want to continue with their training, they're going to want to go on to either 8K or 10K. Most races that I see are usually 10K instead of 8K, and if you train for a 10K, an 8K will be much easier. The natural progression should be to move onto 10K.

You have the basic format down, and based on the iTunes reviews and discussions here there is little to complain about!

I graduate from the 5K program on 04/17. I am highly nervous about moving on to 10K without an app that I'm comfortable with. Without anything from Splendid Things, I may have to buy something like Run Keeper that allows me to build my own advanced intervals for 10 K. There's also a competitor who put out "Bridge to 10K" for 5K grads - I don't really want to go with someone else but if push comes to shove, I'm going to have to do something soon.
Wendytiom

Post by Wendytiom »

I agree entirely with dpcoz - I've got another two weeks before I finish c25k and I will need a new app to continue my training. Bring on either bridge to 8 or 10k please!!! I don't want to go with a completely new programme as I love this one so much :D
reelon

Post by reelon »

Do you think that it could be possible to maybe include some pictures of stretches to do at the beginning and the end of the run?
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Reelon,

This is something that I've not put in to the App. I really want the application to just have the things it needs to have, and this seemed like something that people could search for on the internet. I'm open to changing the application though, and I have had this suggestion before, so I will keep it in mind.

This link here has the stretches that I used – there are just four, they're pretty simple, and you can do them standing up:

http://www.best-running-tips.com/running-stretches.html

I also tend to do some stretches for my arms and back too.

This article has a lot more stretches, but mentions the important ones (which are covered in the first link). There's also lots of good advice here about how to do your stretches (good form):

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Here are my tips: Good stretches take a little while. Hold each stretch on each side for a good 30 to 40 seconds. This is much longer than you will generally see people doing. Be very gentle on yourself. Don't bounce, and don't force anything. It should be curiously nice, rather than uncomfortable, and never painful. Work in to the stretch while you're doing it. You'll slowly loosen. Let yourself relax.

Thanks,
Benjohn
reelon

Post by reelon »

Thanks for the links on the stretches it really helped me a lot. I can understand to keep the app simple that is something that I like about it.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I support the idea of adding progressively longer programs. I would pay $.99 or even $1.99 to move up to an 8K after I finish the 5K, and then again to move up to the 10K. I like the prompts and the way you set up the program, so I'd rather not go to a different company for a longer run app... but that's all that's out there right now!

It's helpful to have a (small) cost so that you commit to a training program; if you offer two full free weeks as a "trial" you might get people not committing to the whole thing. It would be better to offer a limited function version, with one run just so new runners can hear the voice and make sure it works before buying.

Keep up the good work!
makeniphil

Post by makeniphil »

I am approaching the end too, and strangely feel I am addicted to doing this. My worry is what happens when I don't have the structure after 5k? I need you to create the next version. Think of the good it will do to us weak minded men! And surely to add another series of longer runs is simple as you already have the app? And we'll pay! All the best and thanks for a life-changing app.
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

Just a few thoughts,

First, what about the inclusion of a simple stopwatch for free running on a favorite route thats based round the app?

I envisage something along the lines of you press start, and it starts the 5 min warm up, then tells you to start running. You go round, every 5 mins elapsed the lady would tell you how long you've been going for. You then press a finish button, and it swaps over to the 5 min warm down allowing you to cool down and view time spent running. Maybe these run times could be stored for the last couple of dozen runs.

Then how about the user defined preprogrammed free running mode others are asking for?

With a bit of techno-jiggery this website could be adapted to allow us users to upload our own workouts, this would allow us to produce custom run programmes for those that want a follow on to train for the 8k, 10k, half marathon, marathons etc. Beyond altering the interface to allow us to do this, the user group would do the rest. If there was a rating system then users would get to know who's made up a good running programme.

Hope this spurs some ideas, and enriches the product for all.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I can't act on these soon, as I am currently working on a different project. I would like to spend a stint focussing on Get Running again full time in the future, so the ideas are very useful.

Thanks,
Benjohn
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

benjohn wrote:Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I can't act on these soon, as I am currently working on a different project.
Anything interesting?