Life after get running - new app needed

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
niddynoddy

Life after get running - new app needed

Post by niddynoddy »

Hello,

I am sure I am like many who are really enjoying using the Get Running app. Although I am only half way through it I am already starting to think about 'what next'. I really like the format of get running and the vocal coaching. It would be great if there was a new app that carried on to 10k and further.

Get running, you have 4 weeks till I need the next app, please oh please get making one!

Zoe
Toilet Duck

Re: Life after get running - new app needed

Post by Toilet Duck »

Have a look at Runkeeper Pro, seems like a good package for logging runs once you complete week 9
niddynoddy

Post by niddynoddy »

I did have a look at it but it only works on iphones not the ipod touch that I have.

Once I get through the 9 weeks with get running i will use my nike+ features more. At the moment it is just recording (badly) my distances, and telling me after my 30 mins of internals of walking and jogging that I walked the whole way. I knew I was slow but come on, there really is a difference between my walking and my jogging. :oops:

Zoe
Biscottisblog

Post by Biscottisblog »

I have a Nike+ but don't find it acurate enough and Run Keeper, but as you can't use it at the same time as the Get Running app, it's no good as I need the verbal feedback!

So, as I'm now running for forty minutes, I have found a way to still use Get Running. I know how far I walk for my warm up so once I get to that point, I set off my warm up timer and start to run. Once it leads onto the 30 minute run, I get feedback from there, including the point where I need to turn back halfway. When the run is over, I continue for the 5 minute cool down to complete my 40 minutes and then simply do a walking cool down myself.

This might be a bit of a strange solution to the lack of another app but, its working for me at the mo, I can't do it without the voice!!!

biscottisblog.co.uk xx
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) I'm not sure it's helpful, but I understand that Run Keeper Pro has interval training (time and also distance, I believe), and can provide audio alerts. You won't get "The Voice", but perhaps it's still good motivation!
Kmcneil

Post by Kmcneil »

I am also nearing the end of this fab app and am concerned about what to do next.

I love the voice prompts you get and would like to know if anyone has found a similar app. I am worried that I will fail to find something as good and will give up running.

Any advice would be very welcome.
Moveahill

Post by Moveahill »

I have started to love "the voice" as well and I don't think another running app could do her justice. However in order to continue with another running app I would suggest a couch to 10k app which should only help you get better and faster. At first it will be easy because you have already gone through it with this app but since it's a longer distance I expect it to get harder. Alot of people love the couch to 5k app, so the 10k is probably good as well. But hopefully they read these and make a 10k app of their own!
nakedsoul

Post by nakedsoul »

I'm using runmate, it's not as good as getrunning but you can set up your own run plan and it will talk to you (you set the period for the notification).

It's good but I'd like to see some more options for get running
JackBauer

Post by JackBauer »

although you will need an iphone for this app its alot more accurate than Nike+iPod, use the Nike+GPS!! the distance travelled is pretty accurateu could use it along with getRunning, and as someone else has said a 10k version is needed with extra features
fionamcc

Post by fionamcc »

I have just completed my first 20 minute run ...ever and feel great about it. I would love to have another app to get me from 5-10k when the time comes...it feels like a friend is running with me without dragging someone with me!!