Couch Potato to Pan Fried Tomato

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
geronimo

Couch Potato to Pan Fried Tomato

Post by geronimo »

Finished week 9 today, and I'm feeling fairly pleased with myself, though I find the 30 min runs really punishing, even compared to the 28 min ones! I haven't run for more than 20 mins since I was at high school. I can now run 5k in under 25 mins. However, I thought I'd be feeling incredibly fit by now, not knackered! I also find that I go extremely red when exercising for this long. I ran past someone during week 7 and they muttered "my god" as I ran past.

Not sure what to do next - I don't think I'm cut out for 10k, I just find it too punishing and tedious - when is one supposed to feel a 'runners high'? - the only high I feel is when I bloody stop!

I'm wondering what I should be doing to maintain the level of fitness I've reached? Would 2 x 5k a week be about right? Or do I need to do more? I'm thinking I might try to improve my 5k time, though I don't think Mo Farah has too much to worry about!

What a great app though, it's really really hard to give up, it gives you just the right amount of motivation. I was dissapointed though not to receive a major ego boosting talk from the coach when I finished week 9 run 3 - bit of an anti-climax.
geronimo

Re: Couch Potato to Pan Fried Tomato

Post by geronimo »

Meant to say I am 51 and a half, of slim build.
saltedlolly

Re: Couch Potato to Pan Fried Tomato

Post by saltedlolly »

5K in 25 mins is pretty quick - definitely not hanging around at that speed! Maybe if you slow down a bit and enjoy it, and work on increasing your distance, you'll find the high you are looking for!