How do I speed up???

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
rij73

How do I speed up???

Post by rij73 »

Hi there!

I'm a very happy graduate of the app, and I have a dilemma. I went through the whole program, and have continued to run 3 times a week. However, I'm stuck on a 4k route that takes me anywhere from 29 to 32 minutes. I would like to keep my workout to approx. 30 minutes, but I want to go faster and actually cover the 5k distance in that time.

Can you recommend any tools to help me improve my speed?
Herdo

Re: How do I speed up???

Post by Herdo »

I have sped up after starting with c25k by using a heartrate monitor. There is also an app through adidas called mi coach for your smartphone. It is not perfect but the combination of my heart rate and longer distances has made me faster, although by no means fast. There are some quarks in the adidas system but I like seeing how using a heart rate monitor has affected my conditioning.
violabird

Re: How do I speed up???

Post by violabird »

I've been tracking my progress since finishing using Runkeeper. There's a free version, and the pro version which you usually have to pay for is free till the end of January, so go get it now! It tracks your speed/pace/distance using GPS and is fantastic for charting progress. I'm starting again on week 6 of Get Running after a few months break, and am running both programs at once, works brilliantly!