Nervous about W5r3

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Alabamatrotter

Nervous about W5r3

Post by Alabamatrotter »

Hi! I'm new to the forum and I love it. I'm new to running and I'm starting to see the appeal. I'm just really nervous about the 20 minutes. I don't think I will give up if I don't do it on the first try, and I did repeat the w5 r2 just to get more confident so I think I'm prepared. I'm resting today so I won't have tired legs, but I'm worried most about that heavy leg feeling. How do you get past tired legs?
Alabamatrotter

Re: Nervous about W5r3

Post by Alabamatrotter »

Attempted it and got 17 minutes in and my breathing was off. I stopped. But hey, you can't do it if you don't try, right?
matt

Post by matt »

Well done! Seventeen minutes is brilliant :) And breathing can take a while to get figured out. It's all easier with practice.
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Alabamatrotter

Post by Alabamatrotter »

Thanks Matt. Going to give it a try tomorrow. I think having a stuffy nose threw me off.
Alabamatrotter

Post by Alabamatrotter »

I did it on the 2nd attempt! I felt like cheering.
LancLass

Post by LancLass »

I've just completed w5 r2 - so the 20 minute one is coming up. Well done for going back to try it again and then doing it! I shall follow your example ....
ColinD69

Post by ColinD69 »

Way to go!!! Well done for sticking in!! Gives you a great feeling of accomplishment when you get over that 20 minute hurdle!
LancLass

Post by LancLass »

Hi Alabamatrotter! I've been taking each week as it comes and not looking too far ahead but I must admit this run did have me a bit worried. Anyway, I just went out and took it 5 minutes at a time. Every time Claire's voice told me that I'd completed another 5 minutes, I'd vow to keep going for the next 5 and before I knew it, I'd done the 20 minutes without stopping! Breathless and a bit sore around the back of my calves (plenty of stretching followed) but I felt great! I hope you're still going strong! :)
Jonf

Post by Jonf »

Just complete my W5R3 ! I had to encourage myself round, thankfully no one too close to me! The third 5 minute seemed to be tough and the last five was good to finish. Feel really good for finishing it. Never run until I got the app and it may just be working. I have a target of a 5k park run in another 6 weeks....
LordOberon

Post by LordOberon »

Wow, that's awesome, everyone!

I just did Week5 Run2 and paused at 5.5 mins during the first 8-min run. I had studied up in Chi running and set off far too fast. Managed to complete that eventually but did do the 2nd 8-min run at my own pace at a push, of course!

Yep, still worried about the massive jump to 20 mins, though!

L8rs.

Mark D